[Introduction customizable by school -- update highlighted sections and modify anything but bolded text]
To parents and guardians,
At [insert name of school/district], we use G Suite for Education, and we are seeking your permission to provide and manage a G Suite for Education account for your child. G Suite for Education is a set of education productivity tools from Google including Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Classroom, and more used by tens of millions of students and teachers around the world. At [insert name of school/district], students will use their G Suite for Education accounts to complete assignments, communicate with their teachers, [if applicable, insert sign into their Chromebooks], and learn 21st century digital citizenship skills.
The notice below provides answers to common questions about what Google can and can’t do with your child’s personal information, including:
- What personal information does Google collect?
- How does Google use this information?
- Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
- Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
- Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
Please read it carefully, let us know of any questions, and then sign below to indicate that you’ve read the notice and give your consent. If you don’t provide your consent, we will not create a G Suite for Education account for your child. [Your school/district may wish to describe here how not providing consent to use Google services will impact the educational experience. For example, students who cannot use Google services may need to use other software to complete assignments or collaborate with peers.]
I give permission for [insert name of school/district] to create/maintain a G Suite for Education account for my child and for Google to collect, use, and disclose information about my child only for the purposes described in the notice below.
[Insert name of school administrator]
Full name of student
Printed name of parent/guardian
Signature of parent/guardian Date
[G Suite for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians - Google recommends not editing this section except for replacing highlighted text with your school’s info]
G Suite for Education Notice to Parents and Guardians
This notice describes the personal information we provide to Google for these accounts and how Google collects, uses, and discloses personal information from students in connection with these accounts.
Using their G Suite for Education accounts, students may access and use the following “Core Services” offered by Google (described at https://workspace.google.com/terms/user_features.html):
- Chrome Sync
- Cloud Search
- Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms
- Google Hangouts, Google Chat, Google Meet, Google Talk
[Include this section if your school provides access to Additional Services -- learn more about what Additional Services are, and how they differ from Core Services, in the Help Center at https://support.google.com/a/answer/6356441] In addition, we also allow students to access certain other Google services with their G Suite for Education accounts. Specifically, your child may have access to the following “Additional Services”:
- [Insert names of Additional Services enabled by the school administrator - e.g. YouTube, Blogger, Google Maps. A list of additional services is available at https://support.google.com/a/answer/181865, and instructions for administrators about how to enable or disable them are available at https://support.google.com/a/answer/182442.]
Google provides information about the information it collects, as well as how it uses and discloses the information it collects from G Suite for Education accounts in its G Suite for Education Privacy Notice. You can read that notice online at https://workspace.google.com/terms/education_privacy.html You should review this information in its entirety, but below are answers to some common questions:
What personal information does Google collect?
When creating a student account, [insert name of school/district] may provide Google with certain personal information about the student, including, for example, a name, email address, and password. Google may also collect personal information directly from students, such as telephone number for account recovery or a profile photo added to the G Suite for Education account.
When a student uses Google services, Google also collects information based on the use of those services. This includes:
- device information, such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information including phone number;
- log information, including details of how a user used Google services, device event information, and the user's Internet protocol (IP) address;
- location information, as determined by various technologies including IP address, GPS, and other sensors;
- unique application numbers, such as application version number; and
- cookies or similar technologies which are used to collect and store information about a browser or device, such as preferred language and other settings.
How does Google use this information?
In G Suite for Education Core Services, Google uses student personal information to provide, maintain, and protect the services. Google does not serve ads in the Core Services or use personal information collected in the Core Services for advertising purposes.
[Include this section if your school provides access to Additional Services] In Google Additional Services, Google uses the information collected from all Additional Services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Google and its users. Google may also use this information to offer tailored content, such as more relevant search results. Google may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Google services.
Does Google use student personal information for users in K-12 schools to target advertising?
No. For G Suite for Education users in primary and secondary (K-12) schools, Google does not use any user personal information (or any information associated with an G Suite for Education Account) to target ads, whether in Core Services or in other Additional Services accessed while using an G Suite for Education account.
Can my child share information with others using the G Suite for Education account?
[As applicable for school/district] We may allow students to access Google services such as Google Docs and Sites, which include features where users can share information with others or publicly. When users share information publicly, it may be indexable by search engines, including Google.
Will Google disclose my child’s personal information?
Google will not share personal information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Google unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With parental or guardian consent. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google when it has parents’ consent (for users below the age of consent), which may be obtained through G Suite for Education schools.
- With [insert name of school/district]. G Suite for Education accounts, because they are school-managed accounts, give administrators access to information stored in them.
- For external processing. Google may provide personal information to affiliates or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for Google, based on Google’s instructions and in compliance with the G Suite for Education privacy notice and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- For legal reasons. Google will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if it has a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, Google users or the public as required or permitted by law.
Google also shares non-personal information -- such as trends about the use of its services -- publicly and with its partners.
What choices do I have as a parent or guardian?
First, you can consent to the collection and use of your child’s information by Google. If you don’t provide your consent, we will not create a G Suite for Education account for your child, and Google will not collect or use your child’s information as described in this notice.
If you consent to your child’s use of G Suite for Education, you can access or request deletion of your child’s G Suite for Education account by contacting [insert contact information for school administrator]. If you wish to stop any further collection or use of your child's information, you can request that we use the service controls available to limit your child’s access to features or services, or delete your child’s account entirely. You and your child can also visit https://myaccount.google.com while signed in to the G Suite for Education account to view and manage the personal information and settings of the account.
What if I have more questions or would like to read further?
The Core G Suite for Education services are provided to us under G Suite for Education Agreement (at https://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/education_terms.html) [if school/district has accepted the Data Processing Amendment (see https://support.google.com/a/answer/2888485), insert: and the Data Processing Amendment (at https://www.google.com/intl/en/work/apps/terms/dpa_terms.html)].