Team Drives limits
Observe these technical limitations when migrating data or organizing content.
Maximum items in a single Team Drive
A Team Drive can contain a maximum of 400,000 files and folders.
We recommend that Team Drives include less than this limit. Users of Team Drives with too many files can have difficulty organizing and navigating the content. For example, users might simply bookmark individual files or ignore the majority of the content.
Maximum uploads per day
After you've uploaded 750 GB to a Team Drive in 1 day, you'll be blocked from uploading additional files that day. However, file uploads already in progress will complete, up to a 5 TB maximum for a single file.
Folder hierarchy depth
A single Team Drive can nest up to 20 subfolders, but we don’t recommend creating Team Drives with a folder structure that complex. Team Drives functions, but users can have difficulty with organizing and navigating the content.
Instead of a complex hierarchy of folders, consider organizing content into multiple Team Drives.
Team Drive membership
A Team Drive can include a large number of individual and Google Group members.
- Limit for individuals and groups directly added as members: 600
Note: A group and an individual are both counted as one member against the limit.
- Total limit of individuals (direct members, or indirect members due to Google Group membership): 50,000
Note: An individual who is a member of several groups that are added as direct members of the Team Drive still only count as a single individual.
- When adding members to a Google Group, it may take up to 2 days for the Team Drive to be displayed for the new member.
Large organizations should avoid reaching these limits:
- Manage Team Drive membership at the Google Group level instead of the individual user level
- Ensure your Team Drives are organized around specific projects, rather than general purpose file storage
Hidden Team Drives count toward maximum limits
If a user hides a Team Drive, the files, folders, and members in that Team Drive still count toward the limits above.