Upgrade from classic Hangouts to Meet
Prepare a deployment plan to ensure a successful experience for your users. In addition to turning on Hangouts Meet, make sure that your network has enough bandwidth and the correct configurations to manage video meetings.
When will I switch to Meet?
Phase 1: Automatic activation with opt-out
This phase is completed.
Phase 2: Meet on for all users (no opt-out)
In 2019, Meet will have parity with the existing classic Hangouts experience, including support for Microsoft® Windows® and Apple® Mac® users who do not use Chrome Browser or Mozilla® Firefox®. After this, Meet will automatically be turned on for all organizational units and domains and you can no longer opt-out. This phase will be communicated through the G Suite updates blog, and we will provide at least 4 weeks notice before Meet is turned on for all users.
In this phase, all new Google Calendar events will include a Meet video meeting link. All Google meeting room hardware (Hangouts Meet hardware, Chromebox and Chromebase for meetings) will also use Meet.
Phase 3: Classic Hangouts video calling deactivation
At least 4 weeks after the completion of Phase 2, Meet will be activated for all users (no opt-out). This means:
- Classic Hangouts will be turned off for all domains. Links to classic Hangouts video calls will no longer be valid.
- All new and existing events will use Meet.
- All unscheduled meetings will use Meet instead of classic Hangouts.
- To start or join an impromptu meeting with other people in your organization, all participants must enter the same meeting name or code.
- You can still join classic Hangout video calls created by users outside of your organization.
- When classic Hangouts is deactivated, only video meetings scheduled in Google Calendar will be affected. Direct calling from classic Hangouts chat will not be impacted.
To deactivate classic Hangouts video calling early and use Meet for all video meetings, see How do I turn off classic Hangouts video calling and only use Meet in my organization?
Prepare to switch to Meet
Train your support team to use Meet. They should be able to complete the following tasks:
- Troubleshoot issues with video meetings and meeting rooms.
- Provide information when contacting G Suite support.
Understand how to manage Meet.
Review change management best practices and prepare your users for the transition using the Hangouts Meet Starter Kit.
Use the Hangouts Meet training and help resources.
Create video meeting rooms where groups can join video meetings.
For information, see Designing meeting spaces for Meet.
Users can provide feedback after a video meeting to help us improve Meet.
You should also continue to gather video meeting usage data and adjust your network's bandwidth as more people use Meet. For information, see Send feedback.