Tableau cloud application
You must be signed in as a super administrator for this task.
Using Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML), your users can use their Google Cloud credentials to sign in to enterprise-cloud applications.
Set up SSO via SAML for Tableau
Here's how to set up single sign-on (SSO) via SAML for the Tableau® application.Step 1: Set up Tableau as a SAML 2.0 service provider (SP)
From the Admin console Home page, go to Security Set up single sign-on (SSO).
To see Security, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Click the Download button to download the Google IdP metadata and the X.509 Certificate.
- In a new browser tab, log into your Tableau application as an administrator.
- Go to Settings > Authentication
- Check Single sign-on with SAML
- Copy the Entity ID and the ACS URL from Export metadata file from Tableau Online.
You'll need this info to configure your Tableau App in the Admin Console.
- In Import metadata file into Tableau Online use the Browse button next to the Import Metadata file field to find the Google IdP metadata you downloaded in Step 3.
- Click Apply to upload the Google IdP metadata.
- Under Match assertions add the assertion names email, first_name, and last_name for the Attributes Email, First name and Last name, respectively.
- Click Apply. You'll use these same names while configuring App in Admin Console(IDP) for Attribute Mapping.
- Select Allow users to choose their authentication type under Default authentication type for embedded views.
- Open the Users tab.
- Hover on the overflow menu (the 3 dots). Select Authentication from the displayed menu.
- Select Single sign on.
- Proceed to the next section to set up Google as a SAML identity provider (IdP).
- In a new browser tab, sign in to your Admin console as a super administrator.
- Click Apps > SAML apps.
- Click the plus (+) icon in the bottom corner.
- Select the Tableau item from the list. The values on the Google IDP Information page automatically populate.
- There are two ways to collect the service provider Setup information:
You can copy the Entity ID and the Single Sign-On URL field values and download the X.509 Certificate, paste them into the appropriate service provider Setup fields, and then click Next
You can download the IDP metadata, upload it into the appropriate service provider Setup fields, and then come back to the admin console and click Next.
- In the Basic application information window, the Application name and Description values automatically populate.
- Click Next.
- In the Service Provider Details section, enter the following URLs into the Entity ID, ACS URL, and Start URL fields:
ACS URL: https://sso.online.tableau.com/public/sp/SSO?alias=your-alias-id
Entity ID: https://sso.online.tableau.com/public/sp/metadata?alias=your-alias-id
Start URL: Empty
- Leave Signed Response unchecked.
When the Signed Response checkbox is unchecked, only the assertion is signed. When the Signed Response checkbox is checked, the entire response is signed.
- The default Name ID is the primary email. Multi-value input is not supported. You can change the Name ID mapping as per your requirement. Custom attributes of the user schema can also be used after creating them via Google Admin SDK APIs. The custom attributes for the user schema need to be created prior to setting up the Tableau SAML application.
- Click Next.
- Click Add new mapping and map the attribute value "Email" to Basic Information > Primary Email.
- (Optional) You can add two optional attributes. Map the attribute value “first_name” to Basic Information > First Name. Map the attribute value “last_name” to Basic Information > Last Name.
- In the drop-down list, first select the Category and then choose a User attribute to map the attribute from the Google profile.
- Click Finish.
- Sign in to your Admin console.
- Go to Apps > SAML apps.
- Select Tableau.
At the top right of the gray box, click Edit Service .
To turn on or off a service for everyone in your organization, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.
To turn on or off a service only for users in an organizational unit:
- At the left, select the organizational unit.
- Select On or Off.
- To keep the service turned on or off even when the service is turned on or off for the parent organizational unit, click Override.
- If the organization's status is already Overridden, choose an option:
- Inherit—Reverts to the same setting as its parent.
- Save—Saves your new setting (even if the parent setting changes).
Learn more about organizational structure.
- Ensure that your Tableau user account email IDs match those in your Google domain.
- Close all browser windows.
- Open https://sso.online.tableau.com/public/login and attempt to sign in. You should be automatically redirected to the Google sign in page.
- Enter your sign in credentials.
- After your sign in credentials are authenticated, you are automatically redirected back to Tableau.