Let third-party apps access Directory data
If your organization uses third-party apps that integrate with your Google services, you control how much Directory information the external apps can access.
If you allow directory access, your users have a better experience with external apps. For example, when they use a third-party mail app, they want to find domain contacts and have email addresses automatically complete. The app needs access to Directory data to make this happen.
Allow or restrict access to Directory data
From the Admin console Home page, go to Menu Directory Directory settings.
- Click Sharing settings.
- In the External directory sharing section, choose what data to share with external apps and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs):
- Only public data—Share only profile information that’s already shared with the public, such as Google+ profile names and photos. User profile information in Directory is shared only in your domain, so it isn't shared.
- Domain and public data—(Default) Share all Directory information that’s shared with your domain and public data. This information includes profile information for users in your domain, shared external contacts, and Google+ profile names and photos.
The information shared with external apps never includes users’ personal contacts or private profile data. It also doesn’t include suspended or deleted users.
- Click Save changes.
It may take up to 24 hours for your changes to take effect.
Affected apps and APIs
The External directory sharing setting applies only to the following APIs and the Apps Scripts or third-party Marketplace apps that use those APIs:
The setting applies only to third-party apps, such as iOS Mail and iOS Contacts (when enrolled on an iOS device via Add Account Google), third-party Contacts apps (on Android).
The setting doesn't apply to Google products, including mobile apps, such as the following
- Gmail, Contacts (on Android), Inbox, Hangouts, and other Google mobile apps
- iOS Mail and iOS Contacts using Google Sync (when enrolled on an iOS device through Add Account Exchange)
- G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook