Manage your YouTube settings
This article is for YouTube settings in Google Apps.
YouTube settings in Google Apps allow administrators to restrict which YouTube videos are viewable, which videos might show up as recommendations, and which videos are returned in YouTube Search results for signed-in Apps users in your organization. To also apply restrictions to signed-out users, follow the instructions in Restrict YouTube content on your network or managed devices to update your network configuration.
You can apply any one of 4 permissions policies in YouTube settings, configurable by each organizational unit:
- Strict Restricted YouTube access—Enabled by default only when you choose the option “restrict content for logged-in users in your organization”.
- Moderate Restricted YouTube access—Users can only watch restricted and approved videos. This offering is similar to the Restricted Mode setting in the YouTube app and offers a larger corpus of videos than the Strict offering.
- Unrestricted YouTube access—Users can browse all of YouTube when signed-in even if you’ve also set network-level restrictions.
- Can approve videos—You can designate individuals or organizational units to approve videos so that signed-in users in their organization can watch them.
A large number of videos are available when YouTube is restricted. To add additional content, YouTube settings in Google Apps allow approvers to search for and approve additional videos to make them viewable by all users in their organization. See Approve YouTube videos and channels.
We algorithmically limit content that's available if you choose to apply either Strict Restricted YouTube access or Moderate Restricted YouTube access to users in your organization. No algorithm is perfect. If you see inappropriate content, please flag it.
Yes, all recommended and related videos and videos available in search are also restricted.
If the Google Apps administrator hasn't given unrestricted YouTube access to a user, a message appears, prompting that the video isn't available.
- If a user has unrestricted access and is signed in to their Google Apps account, they can view all videos on YouTube.
- If a user is an approver and is signed in to their Google Apps account, the option to approve the video displays below the video player.
- If a user doesn't have unrestricted access or approval permissions, they can't view or approve a video. They'll need to contact the Google Apps domain administrator to approve the video or be added as a video approver.