Add information to a user’s profile
As a Directory admin, you can add information such as phone numbers, secondary email addresses, and desk location to users’ profiles. You can edit user profiles individually in the Admin console. Edit users in bulk with the G Suite Admin SDK Directory API or Google Cloud Directory Sync.
Rich profile information connects users
When you add profile information to user profiles, people in your organization find it in many Google services:
- Individual and group addresses autocomplete as users enter them in Google services like Gmail, Google Docs, and Drive.
- Calendar intelligently suggests meeting rooms based on the location and number of guests (requires Calendar setup).
- Users find profile information in Google services. For example, when users point at or tap someone’s profile photo, they open a person information card.
- Users see organization relationships (Android and iOS only). If you add managers to users’ profiles organization-wide, a reporting chain is automatically generated and shared.
What you can update
You can add, edit, or delete the following information:
- Secondary email address—An address that is outside your domain
- Phone numbers, physical addresses
- Desk location (if you set up buildings in Calendar)
- Job title, manager email, department, and cost center
- Employee ID and employee type
- Organization-specific custom attributes
- A user's primary email address and display name
You can also let users update some of their profile settings, including name, photo, and work location.
Update a profile in the Admin console
This is the simplest way to update a few user profiles. If you need to update many profiles, use one of the bulk update methods described in the following sections.
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. If you need help, go to Find a user account.
- Click the user’s name to open their account page.
- Click User information.
- Click any of the following sections to edit the user's profile information:
- Contact information—Secondary email addresses, phone numbers, and physical addresses
- Email aliases—Additional domain email addresses
- Employee information—ID, job title, employee type, manager email, department, cost center, building ID, floor name, and floor section
- Custom attribute fields—If you or another admin created custom attributes for user profiles, enter or edit their values
Tip: After you add information to a field, another field appears to let you add another entry. To specify details of an entry, such as Home or Work, click the menu at the right. To delete an entry, click Remove on the right.
- At the bottom right, click Save.
- (Optional) To return to the user’s account page, at the top right, click the Up arrow .
It might take up to 24 hours for your changes to appear in the global Directory.
Update many user profiles
If you need to update many user profiles, or if you want to add information that you can’t add in the Admin console, use one of the following methods:
- Directory API—The easiest way to update many profiles at once. Learn how to update a user account with the Directory API. For a complete list of the profile information you can manage, open the G Suite Admin SDK Directory API Reference. Before working with APIs, you need to enable APIs access. You should also be familiar with protocol basics.
- Google Cloud Directory Sync (GCDS)—The easiest way to synchronize user information with an LDAP server. For instructions, go to Sync user data with Active Directory or an LDAP server.
Fill in user profile information
To set the profile information that is shared throughout Google services, edit the following fields. The more fields you fill in, the easier it is for users to connect and collaborate. Note: Gmail users can change their display name themselves.
|Profile value||Example||Admin console field||Directory API property||GCDS attribute|
|Name||Elisa Beckett||Rename user||name||Given name, Family name|
|Profile photo||Photo||Users.photos||not available|
|Email email@example.com||Primary email||primaryEmail||Primary email|
|Phone number||1 949-555-0198||Phone||phones||Work phone numbers|
|Job title||Account Manager||Job title||organizations.title||Job title|
|Manager's firstname.lastname@example.org||Manager's email||relations.type.manager||Manager's DN|
|Organization||Ink 42||Change organization name||organizations.name||Company name|
|Desk location||Building B-2-151C||Building ID, floor name, floor section||locations with type=desk||Building ID, floor name|
|Links||Directory | Google+ | Personal site||not available||websites||not available|
For other ways to update user profiles, see: