You’re now ready to set up Gmail as your business email for your domain (and, if you haven’t already, verify your domain).
To do this, you need to sign in to your domain host and direct the email for your domain to the Google Workspace servers. It’s like registering your new address with the post office when you move so that your mail gets delivered to the right place. We’ll walk you through the steps.
Before you begin
- Verify that you own your domain.
Or, you can verify now with an MX record. We’ll show you how while you're setting up the MX records.
- Create user accounts in Google Workspace for your team.
If your team members already use email with your domain (their email address ends with your domain), you have to create their user accounts in Google Workspace before you change any MX record settings. Otherwise, they won't be able to send or receive messages with their business address in Gmail.
Change your MX records
- Leave the Google Admin console setup instructions open.
- Open a new tab or browser window and go to the Register site, register.it.
- On the Register site, click on Area Clienti (Customer Area) at the top right.
- Enter the email address and password you created when you purchased the Register domain, then click on Login.
- In the Register site, select Domini e Prodotti (Domains and Products) in the section I TUOI PRODOTTI (YOUR PRODUCTS) on the right.
This way you will be able to see the list of registered domains.
- Click on the domain you want to set up for Google Workspace. You will then be redirected to the domain management control panel.
- On the Register site, click on Dominio & DNS (Domain & DNS).
The DNS and MX settings management page will open.
- Click on Configurazione DNS (DNS Configuration).
- Scroll down to the Configurazione DNS attuale (Current DNS Configuration) section and choose Gestione avanzata (Advanced Management), then click OK in the alert popup window.
- On the Register.it site, click on Aggiungi Record (Add Record).
- For each MX record, enter the information as follows:
- In the Nome (Name) column, copy your domain name.
- Leave the default TTL column blank.
- In the Tipo (Type) drop-down menu, choose MX.
- In the Valore (Value) field, enter the priority number followed by a space and the name of the Google server:
- For the Host/IP option, keep the default values.
The configuration steps shown here are specific to Register.IT and differ from the instructions in the Google Admin console setup instructions. For more information see the help page.
- Click on Applica (Apply) to confirm.
- Then click on Continua (Continue) to save the changes.
- Repeat the operation until you have finished entering all the MX records in the table, which will be visible in the Elenco DNS (DNS List) page of the Register site.
Check the boxes to confirm:
You've created accounts for all existing email addresses in your organization.
You're ready to stop receiving messages at your old email provider and start receiving them in Google Workspace.
Scroll to the bottom of the next page and click Activate Gmail.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.