Afrihost: Set up G Suite MX records
Important: If you purchased your domain from Google when you signed up for G Suite, you don’t need to set up Gmail, you can start using it now. If you’re signed in to the Google Admin console, in the top right, click the App Launcher Gmail .
Change your MX records to start using G Suite
You’re now ready to verify your domain (if you haven’t already) and set up Gmail as your business email for your domain (yourcompany.com).
To do this, you need to sign in to your domain host and direct the email for your domain to the G Suite servers. It’s like registering your new address with the post office when you move so that your mail gets delivered to the right place. We’ll walk you through the process.
Before you begin
- Verified that you own your domain.
Or, you can verify now with an MX record. We’ll show you how.
- Created user accounts in G Suite for your team.
If your team members already use email with your domain, you have to create their user accounts in G Suite before you change the MX record settings for your domain. Otherwise, they won't be able to send or receive messages with their business address in Gmail. You can create accounts for new users later.
If you're in the Setup Wizard shown below, skip to Setup Wizard instructions below.
If you're not in the Setup Wizard shown above, follow these steps to open the Setup Wizard:
From the Admin console Home page, go to Domains.
To see Domains, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Click Add/remove domains.
- Click Set up Google MX records for your domain.
- Skip to Setup Wizard instructions below to add G Suite MX records.
- When you're done adding MX records, go back to the wizard and click I have completed these steps. This tells Google it's time to look for your domain's new MX records.
Let's Get Started
These instructions walk you through updating MX records to your Afrihost domain. Afrihost not your domain host? See instructions for other hosts.Open the Setup Wizard
- If you verified your domain and are still signed in to your Admin console, skip to step 2.
If you signed out of your Admin console, sign back in by entering your G Suite email address (this email address ends with @yourcompany.com, and is not an @gmail.com address) and your password at admin.google.com.
- At the top of the Google Admin Console (Dashboard), click Set up Gmail.
If you don't see this Wizard, you can still set up your MX records directly from your Admin console. To do so, click Domains, and then click Set up Google MX records for your domain. You can then choose your domain host from the drop-down list to see the instructions to set up your MX records. (Can't see Domains in your Admin console? Click More Controls.)
- Confirm by clicking Set up email.
- You should now see the Log in to your domain host's website step in the G Suite Setup Wizard.
Setup Wizard Instructions1. Log in to your Afrihost account
- Leave the G Suite Setup Wizard open.
- Open a new browser window and go to the Afrihost site at afrihost.com.
Whenever you see the G Suite icon in these instructions, you’ll complete that step in the G Suite Setup Wizard.
- On the Afrihost site, click ClientZone at the top of the page.
- Enter the username and password that you created when you purchased your domain from Afrihost, and click Login.
- In the G Suite Setup Wizard, check the I have successfully logged in box.
- In the Afrihost ClientZone page, select Hosting from the menu. You must have a hosting plan with Afrihost to make changes to your DNS settings. If you don't have access to some of the settings described below, conact Afrihost support.
- In the My Hosting page, click on the domain name that you want to verify for G Suite under Shared Hosting. In this example, we'll use the domain td-ah.com, but you'll see your own domain name instead.
- Click Hosting Settings.
- In the Hosting Settings section, click DNS Editor.
- In the G Suite Setup Wizard, check the I have opened the control panel for my domain box.
- On the Afrihost site, delete any MX records under Type by clicking the icon in the Actions column. Don't worry, you'll add new ones in the step below.
- Click Remove Record in the dialog box that displays to confirm.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for any other existing MX records.
- In the G Suite Setup Wizard, check the I have deleted existing MX records box.
To direct your email to your G Suite account, you have to add new MX records to your domain. These are the records that you'll need to add:
|MX server address||Priority|
- In the DNS Management page of your Afrihost site, click Create New Record.
- In the Type field, select MX from the drop-down list.
- Leave the default value in the Record field, and enter 1 in the Priority field.
- In the Content field, enter ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. Include the period with the MX record.
- In the TTL field, enter 3600.
- Click Create to save your new MX record.
- Click OK to confirm.
- Repeat Steps 1-7, entering the remaining values (MX Server address) from the table above, and setting the Priority values respectively.
If you make a mistake after adding a record, you can edit it by clicking the icon.
Skip this step if you already verified your domain by another method (such as TXT record, HTML file, or meta tag).
If you need to verify your domain:
- Find the unique MX verification record provided by the G Suite Setup Wizard.
- Copy the entire record (ends in mx-verification.google.com) and paste it in the Value/Answer/Destination/Target column.
- Make sure the record's priority is set to Low or to 15 or greater.
- In the G Suite Setup Wizard, check the I created MX records with these values box.
- In the first tab or window, return to the G Suite Setup Wizard.
- Click through any confirming steps in the wizard.
- Click Verify or I have completed these steps to tell Google to look for your new MX records.
Congratulations! Your business email for your domain is now directed to the G Suite mail servers.
- The records can take several hours to update, so you might not immediately get new email messages in Gmail. Until then, you'll continue to receive messages at your old email provider.
- If you see the MX records setup validation in progress message in the Admin console for more than a few hours, make sure you entered the MX address records and priorities correctly in the DNS records stored with your host.
- If you still need help changing your MX records, contact G Suite support.