Hostgator: Verify your domain
Tip: For convenience, expand the steps in this article and print it to refer to as you go through the verification process.
After you verify that you own your domain, you can start using your Google service such as G Suite or Cloud Identity. If you have G Suite, you can start using Gmail, Google Drive, and all the other services included with your G Suite account.
How do I verify?
When you sign up for your Google service, you get a verification record that you copy and paste into your domain settings.
Need help with verification? Contact support for fast, free, personalized help.
When you initially sign up for your Google service, Google provides the verification record in the Setup Wizard (on the Verify your domain and set up email page).
If you need to verify your domain and you’re not already in the Setup Wizard, go to Find the G Suite Setup Wizard for instructions. Select TXT as your verification method in the wizard and then return to this article. Move on to the second Begin setup step below, and log into your domain host website.
On the Verify your domain and set up email page, click Choose a different method and select Add a domain host record.
- Open a new browser window and go your site's Hostgator cPanel by entering yoursite.com/cpanel in the address bar.
In this example, we'll use tdsetup.com, but you'll enter your own website.
- Enter the email address and password that you created when you purchased your domain from Hostgator. Click Log in.
Click through the Setup Wizard steps until you see the verification record.
The record looks like this:
google-site-verification=followed by a unique string of text and numbers.
- Copy the verification record (including the entire string of text and numbers).
- In the Hostgator site, scroll down to Domains and click Advanced DNS Zone Editor.
You're now in the Hostgator DNS settings control panel.
- Scroll down to the Add a Record section in the Advanced DNS Zone Editor.
- From the Type drop-down list, choose TXT.
Adding this TXT record won't affect your email or website.
- Paste the entire verification code into the TXT Data field.
- In the Name field, enter your domain name (without the www.). In this example, we'll use tdsetup.com, but you'll enter your own website.
- In the TTL field, enter 3600.
- Click Add Record to save your new TXT record.
Your page will refresh, and you’ll see a green Added Record confirmation message to let you know that the TXT record has been added.
Note: The change may take up to 48 hours to update. However, as you go through the next steps in the Setup Wizard, the wizard immediately starts checking for your new TXT record to verify your domain.
- Return to the Setup Wizard in the first browser tab.
- Check the I saved the TXT verification record box and go to Next steps.
Next steps (for G Suite)
Now it’s time to set up Gmail with your G Suite account.
- Keep the Setup Wizard and your domain host website open.
- In a separate browser tab or window, open the instructions for setting up Gmail with your host.
- Follow the instructions to set up your MX records for mail delivery to Gmail.