Dreamhost: Verify your domain
Tip: For convenience, expand the steps in this article and print it to refer to as you go through the verification process.
After you verify that you own your domain, you can start using your Google service, such as G Suite, Drive Enterprise, or Cloud Identity. If you have G Suite, you can start using Gmail, Google Drive, and all the other services included with your G Suite account.
You get the verification record in the Setup Wizard when you sign up.
Not in the Setup Wizard? Go to Find the G Suite Setup Wizard to find the verification record. Copy your unique verification record, return to this article, and go to Step 2: Sign in to your domain host.
On the Verify your domain and set up email page, click Choose a different method and select Add a domain host record.
- From the Value/Answer/Destination field, copy the entire unique verification record.
Tip: If you need a CNAME record instead of a TXT record, in the Add a new TXT record to your domain step in the Setup Wizard, click add a CNAME record. You'll copy and paste both parts of this record into your domain's DNS records.
- In the Setup Wizard, on the Verify your domain and set up email page, click the link to open your domain host sign-in page in a new tab.
Note: If the Setup Wizard doesn’t provide a link to your domain, open the Dreamhost® site in a new tab. Keep the Setup Wizard open in the first tab.
- Enter the email address and password you created when you purchased your domain from Dreamhost.
- Click Sign in.
- On the left, click Domains Manage Domains.
- Scroll down the screen until you see the domain that you want to verify with your Google service.
- Under the domain name, click DNS to view the settings for your domain.
Note: If you see a warning message about changing your DNS settings, disregard it. Adding the verification record won’t damage your website or DNS settings.
- Scroll down to the Add a custom DNS record section.
- Open the instructions for the type of verification record you want to add to your domain’s DNS records. Add a TXT verification record (most common)
- Leave the Name field empty.
- Click the Type drop-down list and select TXT.
- In the Value field, paste the entire verification record that you copied in step 1.
- Click Add Record Now.
- Return to the Setup Wizard.
- Check the I saved the verification record box or click Verify.
- If you’re a G Suite customer, go to Next steps to set up Gmail.
G Suite: Next steps
Now it’s time to set up Gmail with your G Suite account.
- Keep the Setup Wizard and your domain host pages open.
- In a separate browser tab or window, follow the instructions to set up Gmail (MX records) with your host.