Before you install Google Cloud Directory Sync (GCDS), ensure you meet the following requirements.Google domain requirements
- A server to run GCDS with one of the following operating systems:
- Microsoft® Windows® (supported on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008/2012/2016).
- Linux®—If you’re using a 32-bit version of GCDS on a 64-bit Linux system, a 32-bit libc (such as
libc6-i386) must be installed.
- At least 5 GB of disk space for log files and data. If you are running with the DEBUG or INFO level of logging, you may need more free space than this for additional log data.
- At least 256 MB of free RAM. However, if you have less than 10,000 users, it is recommended that you allocate at least 1 GB of free RAM. If you have more than 10,000 users, you should allocate at least 2 GB of free RAM. For very large organizations (over 250,000 users), further tuning may be needed.
- An LDAP server with user information that is accessible to GCDS. All versions of LDAP are supported.
- Network access to your LDAP server. You don't need to run GCDS on your LDAP server.
- Read and execute administrative access over the organizational unit structure of the LDAP server.
- An LDAP browser that can read and browse your LDAP directory server data.
- Network access to the Google domain through HTTPS, directly or through a proxy server. This includes ports 80 and 443.
- For best results, a network connection to your Google domain with no proxies or firewalls is recommended.
- (Optional) A mail server able to accept and relay notifications from GCDS.
- Access to Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate authorities for your network.
Depending on your configuration, you may need the following levels of expertise to implement GCDS:
- Administrator access to your Google domain.
- LDAP administrator access to your directory server and familiarity with its contents as well as familiarity with the LDAP query language.
- Network administrator privileges and familiarity with your network and security settings for internal and outbound traffic.
- (Optional) Access to a mail server that is able to relay messages for GCDS notifications and familiarity with setting up mail servers for traffic.
- Human Resources contact and familiarity with your user base as well as the ability to identify which LDAP entries represent current employees.