As an administrator, you can turn Google Drive on or off for people in your organization.
People who have Drive turned on can:
- Store and share files from their account.
- Upload files to rooms in the integrated Gmail experience. Learn more about integrated Gmail.
People who have Drive turned off can't:
- Access or create Docs or Drive files with their account. Other users who have access to that user's existing documents can continue to access the documents. If you turn the user's Drive service back on, they can create and access documents again, including their old documents.
- Submit Google Forms that require them to share documents outside your organization.
- Upload files to rooms in the integrated Gmail experience.
- If Drive is turned off, you can’t change file-sharing permissions.
- If trust rules (beta) is turned on, rules still apply to users' files if you turn off Drive for them. For details about trust rules, see Create and manage trust rules for Drive sharing (beta).
To control who uses Drive in your organization
Before you begin: To turn a service on or off for certain users, put their accounts in an organizational unit (to control access by department) or add them to an access group (to allow access for users across or within departments).
In the Admin console, go to Menu AppsGoogle WorkspaceDrive and Docs.
Click Service status.
To turn on or off a service for everyone in your organization, click On for everyone or Off for everyone, and then click Save.
(Optional) To turn a service on or off for an organizational unit:
- At the left, select the organizational unit.
- To change the Service status, select On or Off.
- Choose one:
- If the Service status is set to Inherited and you want to keep the updated setting, even if the parent setting changes, click Override.
- If the Service status is set to Overridden, either click Inherit to revert to the same setting as its parent, or click Save to keep the new setting, even if the parent setting changes.
Note: Learn more about organizational structure.
To turn on a service for a set of users across or within organizational units, select an access group. For details, go to turn on a service for a group.
After turning on Drive: Set up Google Drive for your team