Some Gmail reports have details about inbound, outbound, and internal mail.
- Messages sent and received with SMTP relay service aren't included in the message totals in aggregate reports.
- An associated domain is any domain or subdomain of the parent domain that is set as one of these:
- Primary domain
- Secondary domain
- Alias domain
Message type definitions:
- Inbound—Messages received by users from senders outside the set of domains for your organization.
- Outbound—Messages sent by users to recipients outside the set of domains for your organization.
- Sending—Messages sent by users to recipients within the set of domains for your organization.
- Receiving—Messages received by users from senders within the set of domains for your organization.
Important: Messages must be authenticated by either SPF or DKIM to be treated as internal. This applies even to messages from an associated domain. If a message sent from an associated domain does not pass either SPF or DKIM, it's treated as an external message.
- Delivered—Messages delivered directly to/from Gmail, or to the default mail route (for non-Gmail mailbox users). Rerouted messages that are delivered are not defined as delivered because Gmail is not the final destination.
- Rerouted—Messages rerouted to another server from Gmail.
- Rejected—Messages that are rejected. Reasons for message rejection vary by direction (inbound/outbound). Rerouted messages that are rejected are not defined as rejected because rerouting happens before rejection.