Using Hangouts video calls
Video calls expand the boundaries of your meeting. You can talk with coworkers in another location, interview external candidates, or present your big idea to the whole company: no matter where you are.
Hangouts for Google Apps provides a secure video conferencing system for use within your organization. You can quickly create video calls with up to 15 co-workers, add video calls to your Google Calendar events, and more. Google Hangouts video calling is enabled by default.
Here's a high-level overview of things you should know when using Hangouts video calls for Google Apps:What Google Apps editions support Hangouts video calls?
Hangouts video calls are automatically on for Google Apps for Work, Government, and Education as well as Standard edition (free edition). Admins can choose to disable video calling for the domain or for organizational units within it whenever they want.
- Business, Government, and Education editions include the following enterprise benefits (Google+ is no longer required):
- Create a named video call.
- Create and join a multi-way video Hangout.
- Create a domain restricted Hangout.
- Join Hangout by name or from g.co/hangout.
- Hold video calls between up to 15 participants.
- The Standard edition supports 1:1 video calls by default. When Google+ is enabled, multi-way video calls between up to 10 people are supported.
To join a Hangouts video call, your organization must use a supported version of Google Apps (such as Business, Government, or Education).
The Google Apps services required for Hangouts video calling are enabled by default, so no action should be required to start using video calls. However, if you are unable to create video calls, verify that the services were not disabled for your organization or organizational unit.
- Verify that the Talk/Hangouts service is enabled.
- In addition, verify that voice and video calls from Hangouts are enabled for each user. This setting is enabled by default.
- Sign in to the Admin console.
- On the dashboard, click Apps, then click Google Apps > Talk/Hangouts > Advanced settings.
- In the Organizations section near the top of the page, select your domain or the organizational unit for which you want to configure settings.
- In the Additional Services section, select Allow users to place voice and video calls from Hangouts.
Hangouts video calls are automatically enabled for Google Apps users, but each user device must also meet the following requirements:
See the Hangouts Help Center for everything you need to know about joining Hangouts video calls.
Video calls in Google Calendar events have customizable names that are private to your domain. External guests can join your video calls, but they must be directly invited to the event or video call.
For more information on named video calls, see our printable guide.
If you choose the same video call name as another person in your domain, then you will join the same meeting. If email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org both create a video call named “staff-meeting”, they will join the same video call.
However, external users will only see the Hangout and participants associated with the event they were invited to. If an external participant of email@example.com's event joins “staff-meeting” first, then the external participants of firstname.lastname@example.org will not be able to join.
Yes. Learn more.
Users can still invite external users (users outside the organization's domain) to a video call even if the administrator disables Hangouts chat outside of the domain.
See our printable guidefor more information.
If you choose the same video call name as a person in another domain, you are not affected. If email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org both create a video call named “staff-meeting”, they will not end up the same video call.
Yes. To invite users by telephone:
- (One-time only) Enable Google Voice in your Google Admin console.
- Start a Hangouts video call.
- Click Add Telephone and follow the onscreen prompts.
See the following for details.Enable Google Voice
To turn on Google Voice for your organization:
- Start a Hangouts video call.
- Click Add Users.
- Click Add telephone.
- Enter a telephone number and click Call.
- The person will be added to the video call when they answer the phone.
See Additional video call features available with Google+ for more information.
Initiating an audio-only call is not available. However, all participants can switch to audio-only during a Hangouts video call.
For more information for users, see the Google+ Hangouts Help Center.