Hangouts system requirements
You can use Hangouts with most editions of Google Apps. Just make sure the required services are enabled and that your users's devices meet the requirements for video calls.
See below for the specific requirements:Google Apps editions
Hangouts video calls are automatically on for Google Apps for Work, Government, and Education as well as Standard edition (free edition). Admins can choose to disable video calling for the domain or for organizational units within it whenever they want.
- Business, Government, and Education editions include the following enterprise benefits (Google+ is no longer required):
- Create a named video call.
- Create and join a multi-way video Hangout.
- Create a domain restricted Hangout.
- Join Hangout by name or from g.co/hangout.
- Hold video calls between up to 15 participants.
- The Standard edition supports 1:1 video calls by default. When Google+ is enabled, multi-way video calls between up to 10 people are supported.
Video call requirements
The Google Apps services required for Hangouts video calling are enabled by default, so no action should be required to start using video calls. However, if you are unable to create video calls, verify that the services were not disabled for your organization or organizational unit.
- Verify that the Talk/Hangouts service is enabled.
- In addition, verify that voice and video calls from Hangouts are enabled for each user. This setting is enabled by default.
- Sign in to the Admin console.
- On the dashboard, click Apps, then click Google Apps > Talk/Hangouts > Advanced settings.
- In the Organizations section near the top of the page, select your domain or the organizational unit for which you want to configure settings.
- In the Additional Services section, select Allow users to place voice and video calls from Hangouts.
Additional Google services may be required to support Hangouts chat features (such as Picasaweb for photo sharing). Learn more.
Hangouts video calls are automatically enabled for Google Apps users, but each user device must also meet the following requirements:
Your network must be optimized to support Hangouts. Learn more.