To synchronize school information with Google School Directory Sync (SDS), your system must meet certain Google Workspace for Education, server, and network requirements.
Requirements and expertiseGoogle Workspace for Education requirements
- A Google Workspace for Education domain and account with super administrator access.
- If you use Classroom, you need to allow API access to Classroom data. For details, see Set Classroom data access.
- A server to run SDS with one of these operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008, 2012, or 2016).
- Linux—If you’re using a 32-bit version of SDS on a 64-bit Linux system, a 32-bit libc (such as libc6-i386) must be installed.
- At least 256 MB of free RAM.
- Less than 10,000 users? We recommend that you allocate at least 1 GB of free RAM.
- More than 10,000 users? Allocate at least 2 GB of free RAM.
- More than 250,000 users? Further tuning may be needed.
- At least 5 GB of disk space for log files and data. If you're running the DEBUG or INFO level of logging, you might need more free space for additional log data.
- The CSV files must be located on the same server as SDS.
- Network access to your Google Workspace for Education domain through HTTPS or through a proxy server with ports 80 and 443.
- For best results, use a network connection to Google Workspace for Education with no proxies or firewalls.
- A mail server capable of accepting and relaying notifications from SDS.
- Access to SSL Certificate Authorities for your network.
Depending on your configuration, you need:
- An administrator for Google Workspace for Education and Classroom who can work in the Admin console.
- A network administrator who knows about security settings for internal and outbound traffic.
- Experience managing mail servers.
- Knowledge of your school information systems.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.