About Google School Directory Sync
You can synchronize data from your school information management system to Classroom and G Suite for Education using Google School Directory Sync (SDS).
By default, SDS synchronizes data with Classroom only. You can choose to synchronize also with G Suite for Education.
What SDS does
As well as synchronizing, you can also use SDS to:
- Provision classes—Automatically populate classes with your school information so teachers don’t need to do it.
- Update users, groups, organizational units—Add, modify, or delete users, groups, and organizational units.
- Customize synchronizations—Configure synchronizations to suit your needs.
- Test synchronizations—Verify settings and simulate a synchronization to find what works best for your organization.
How SDS works
- Decide what data to sync.
- Create CSV files from the data and export the files to SDS.
- SDS connects to and updates Classroom and G Suite for Education to match the school information data.
- After synchronization, a report is emailed to any addresses you've specified.
- SDS performs a one-way synchronization of data in CSV files to Classroom and G Suite for Education. Your school information is secure—data on your school system is never updated or altered.
- SDS updates Classroom and G Suite for Education to match your school information.
- Everything you need for the synchronization is included in the installation package.
Need to sync data with G Suite? Use Google Cloud Directory Sync to synchronize data in your G Suite domain with your LDAP directory server.