IPOWER: Set up Google Apps MX records
Change your MX records to start using Gmail
You’re now ready to set up Gmail as your business email for your domain (yourcompany.com).
To do this, you have to direct the email for your domain to the Google Apps servers. It’s like registering your new address with the post office when you move so that your mail gets delivered to the right place.
To get started, you’ll log in to your domain host, which manages technical settings for your domain. You’ll then update the MX record settings to direct your email to your Google Apps account. If you were already using email with your domain, you’ll start receiving messages in Gmail instead of at your old email provider.
- Verified that you own your domain.
- Created user accounts for your team in Google Apps.
If your team members already use email with your domain, you have to create their user accounts in Google Apps before you change the MX record settings for your domain. Otherwise, they won't be able to send or receive messages with their business address in Gmail. You can create accounts for new users later.
Let's Get Started
These instructions walk you through updating MX records to your IPOWER domain. IPOWER not your domain host? See instructions for other hosts.Open the Setup Wizard
- If you verified your domain and are still signed in to your Admin console, skip to step 2.
If you signed out of your Admin console, sign back in by entering your Google Apps email address (this email address ends with @yourcompany.com, and is not an @gmail.com address) and your password at admin.google.com.
- At the top of the Google Apps Admin Console (Dashboard), click Set up Gmail.
If you don't see this Wizard, you can still set up your MX records directly from your Admin Console. To do so, click Domains, and then click Set up Google MX records for your domain. You can then choose your domain host from the drop-down list to see the instructions to set up your MX records. (Can't see Domains in your Admin Console? Click More Controls.)
- Confirm by clicking Set up email.
- You should now see the Log in to your domain host's website step in the Google Apps Setup Wizard.
Setup Wizard Instructions1. Log in to your IPOWER account
- Leave the Google Apps Setup Wizard open.
- Open a new browser window and go to the IPOWER site at ipower.com.
Whenever you see the Google Apps icon in these instructions, you’ll complete that step in the Google Apps Setup Wizard.
- On the IPOWER site, at the top of the page, enter the account username and password that you created when you purchased your domain from IPOWER, and click Log In.
- In the Google Apps Setup Wizard, check the I have successfully logged in box.
- In the IPOWER site, click DomainCentral in the Control Panel.
- Click the domain name you want to update the MX records for. In this example, we'll use the domain td-ipower.com, but you'll see your own domain name instead.
- Click DNS in the My Domains section. You're now in the IPOWER domain management settings.
- In the Modify drop-down list, select MX Record.
- In the Google Apps Setup Wizard, check the I have opened the control panel for my domain box.
- Scroll down to MX Records section. In the Action drop-down list, click Remove next to any existing records. These records start with mx. followed by your domain name in the Points To column.
Note: Delete only MX records. Do not delete any A, AAAA, CNAME, SRV, or TXT records. Don't worry, you'll add new MX records in the step below.
- Click OK in the dialog box that displays to confirm.
You'll see a green confirmation message that the record has been deleted.
- In the Google Apps Setup Wizard, check the I have deleted existing MX records box.
To direct your email to your Google Apps account, you have to add new MX records to your domain. These are the records that you'll need to add:
|MX Server Address||Priority|
- In the Priority field, enter 1.
- Leave the Host field blank, and enter ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM in the Points To field.
- Click Add to confirm the record.
- Repeat Steps 1-3, entering the remaining values (MX Server address) from the table above, and setting the Priority values respectively.
If you make a mistake after adding a record, you can edit it by clicking Edit from the Action drop-down menu, and add the record again.
- In the Google Apps Setup Wizard, check the I created MX records with these values box.
Congratulations! Your business email for your domain has now been directed to the Google Apps mail servers.
Note: The change may take up to several hours to update, so you may not receive new email messages in Gmail immediately. Until then, if you have been using another service for your email, you'll continue to receive messages at your old email provider.
If you see a MX records setup validation in progress message in the Domains page for more than a few hours, check your that the MX record values and priority have been correctly entered in your domain host.
You can also contact Google for Work Support to help guide you to change your MX records for Gmail.