IPOWER: Set up G Suite MX records
Important: If you purchased your domain from Google when you signed up for G Suite, you don’t need to set up Gmail, you can start using it now. If you’re signed in to the Google Admin console, in the top right, click the App Launcher Gmail .
Change your MX records to start using G Suite
You’re now ready to verify your domain (if you haven’t already) and set up Gmail as your business email for your domain (yourcompany.com).
To do this, you need to sign in to your domain host and direct the email for your domain to the G Suite servers. It’s like registering your new address with the post office when you move so that your mail gets delivered to the right place. We’ll walk you through the process.
Before you begin
- Verified that you own your domain.
Or, you can verify now with an MX record. We’ll show you how.
- Created user accounts in G Suite for your team.
If your team members already use email with your domain, you have to create their user accounts in G Suite before you change the MX record settings for your domain. Otherwise, they won't be able to send or receive messages with their business address in Gmail. You can create accounts for new users later.
If you're in the Setup Wizard shown below, start at Step 1 in the Add G Suite MX records Instructions.
If you're not in the Setup Wizard shown above, follow these steps to open the Setup Wizard:
From the Admin console dashboard, go to Domains.
To see Domains, you might have to click More controls at the bottom.
- Click Add/remove domains.
- Click Set up Google MX records for your domain.
- Complete Step 1 of the Add G Suite MX records section. When you finish adding all of the G Suite MX records, click I have completed these steps to tell Google it's time to look for your domain's MX records.
Let's Get Started
These instructions walk you through updating MX records to your IPOWER domain. IPOWER not your domain host? See instructions for other hosts.Open the Setup Wizard
If you're still signed in to your Admin console, skip to step 2.
If you signed out of your Admin console, sign in again by going to admin.google.com and entering your Google Apps email address (this email address ends with @yourcompany.com and is not an @gmail.com address) and your password.
At the top of the Admin console, click Set up Gmail.If you don't see the Setup prompt shown above, you can still set up your MX records directly from your Admin console. To do so, first click Domains, and then click Add/remove domains. Next, click Set up Google MX records for your domain. When you are finished adding all of the G Suite MX records, you'll click I have completed these steps to tell Google it's time to look for your domain's MX records.
Click Set up email to confirm.
You should now see the Log in to your domain host's website step in the G Suite Setup Wizard. Continue to step 1 of the Setup Wizard instructions.
Setup Wizard Instructions1. Log in to your IPOWER account
- Leave the G Suite Setup Wizard open.
- Open a new browser window and go to the IPOWER site at ipower.com.
Whenever you see the G Suite icon in these instructions, you’ll complete that step in the G Suite Setup Wizard.
- In the top right corner of the IPOWER site, click Log In.
- Enter the account username or domain and password that you created when you purchased your domain from IPOWER, and click Log In.
- In the G Suite Setup Wizard, check the I have successfully logged in box.
- In the IPOWER site, click DomainCentral in the Control Panel.
- Click the domain name you want to update the MX records for. In this example, we'll use the domain td-ipower.com, but you'll see your own domain name instead.
- Click DNS in the My Domains section. You're now in the IPOWER domain management settings.
- In the Modify drop-down list, select MX Record.
- In the G Suite Setup Wizard, check the I have opened the control panel for my domain box.
- Scroll down to MX Records section. In the Action drop-down list, click Remove next to any existing records. These records start with mx. followed by your domain name in the Points To column.
Note: Delete only MX records. Do not delete any A, AAAA, CNAME, SRV, or TXT records. Don't worry, you'll add new MX records in the step below.
- Click OK in the dialog box that displays to confirm.
You'll see a green confirmation message that the record has been deleted.
- In the G Suite Setup Wizard, check the I have deleted existing MX records box.
To direct your email to your G Suite account, you have to add new MX records to your domain. These are the records that you'll need to add:
|MX server address||Priority|
- In the Priority field, enter 1.
- Leave the Host field blank, and enter ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM in the Points To field.
- Click Add to confirm the record.
- Repeat Steps 1-3, entering the remaining values (MX Server address) from the table above, and setting the Priority values respectively.
If you make a mistake after adding a record, you can edit it by clicking Edit from the Action drop-down menu, and add the record again.
If you need to verify your domain, repeat the steps above to add the unique MX verification record provided by the G Suite Setup Wizard. Copy the entire record (ends in mx-verification.google.com) and paste it into the Value/Answer/Destination/Target column. Make sure the record's priority is set to Low or to 15 or greater.
Skip this step if you already verified by another method (such as TXT record, HTML file, or meta tag).
In the G Suite Setup Wizard, check the I have created MX records with these values box and click below for the next step.
- In the first tab or window, return to the G Suite Setup Wizard.
- Click through any confirming steps in the wizard.
- Click Verify or I have completed these steps to tell Google to look for your new MX records.
Congratulations! Your business email for your domain is now directed to the G Suite mail servers.
Note: The change can take several hours to update, so you might not immediately receive new email messages in Gmail. Until then, you'll continue to receive messages at your old email provider.
If you see the MX records setup validation in progress message in the Admin console for more than a few hours, make sure you entered the MX address records and priorities correctly in the DNS records stored with your host.
You can also contact G Suite support for help with changing your MX records.