Add a CNAME record to your domain's DNS records
You may need to add a CNAME record to your domain’s DNS records to:
- Verify your domain for G Suite
- Reset your G Suite Admin password
1. Get your unique CNAME record
You’ll get a unique CNAME record for your domain either through the G Suite setup wizard or through the G Suite Admin password reset wizard.
Keep the page with this record open, You’ll use this record later.
If you need help finding your unique CNAME record, contact Google Support.
2. Log into your domain host
Your domain host is typically where you purchased your domain name (like GoDaddy, Enom, or Name.com).
- Find your domain host if you don’t know who it is.
- Open a second browser tab or window and log into your host’s website.
3. Add the CNAME record to your domain’s DNS records
You’ll add the CNAME record to your domain’s DNS records that are stored with your domain host.
Contact your domain host for help adding the CNAME record. Here’s a note you can use when you call or email them.
To add the record yourself, follow the steps below. See your domain host’s Help section for more specific instructions.
- Go to your domain’s DNS records.
- Choose to add a record to your DNS settings, and select CNAME as the record type.
- Return to the first window/tab and copy the contents of the Label/Host field.
- Paste the copied contents into into the Label or Host field with your DNS records.
- Return to the first window/tab and copy the contents of the Destination/Target field.
- Paste the copied contents into the Destination or Target field with your DNS records.
Your record should look similar to one of the tables below:
Verification CNAME Record
Record type Label/Host field Time To Live (TTL) Destination/Target field CNAME 3IBW7URVCRWY 3600 or leave the default gv-53XX379XXX221XXX96482XX3X
Password Reset CNAME Record
Record type Label/Host field Time to Live (TTL) Destination/Target field CNAME google9X97X7X266XX521X 3600 google.com
- Save your record. CNAME record changes can take up to 72 hours to go into effect, but typically they happen much sooner.
- Return to the setup wizard that is open in your other browser tab. Continue your G Suite setup or password reset from this wizard.
Use this template to email your domain host for help adding your unique CNAME record to your DNS records. Enter your unique Label/Host and Destination/Target text into the email before sending it to your domain host’s support.
More about CNAME
You can also use CNAME records to change or customize a web address.