Add several users at once
Before people on your team can sign in and use your organization's Google services (for example, G Suite or Cloud Identity services), they need a user account. The easiest way to add user accounts is to add them individually in your Google Admin console. See also these Other options for adding users.
You must be signed in as a super administrator for this task.
Watch a video
Add users from a spreadsheet
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to Users.
- On the Users page, click and select Add multiple users.
- Download the sample CSV (comma separated values) file. Do not close the dialog box.
- Open the CSV file in a spreadsheet application, such as Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel.
The file has columns for the attributes that can appear in each user's profile. Profiles appear in the Admin console and the user's Contact Manager.
- (Required) For each user you want to add, fill in the First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Password columns in the spreadsheet.
- (Optional) Fill in the other columns only if you want. Otherwise, you can leave them blank.
Tip: To add multiple phone numbers or addresses for a user, add columns to the spreadsheet. Rename the header accordingly. For example, to add a second home address, create a new column with the header Home Address 2.
- Save the CSV file as a CSV file type. Then upload it using the dialog box.
Guidelines and tipsEssentials
- Be sure to save your spreadsheet as a CSV file type.
- All passwords must be at least eight characters.
- To upload non-ASCII or double byte usernames, first save the CSV file in UTF-8 including BOM.
- You cannot load 500 user accounts at once. Split your table into smaller chunks before saving each one as a CSV file.
- Remember that it can take up to 24 hours for new user accounts to appear in the global Directory. Save time by splitting your uploads into smaller batches. You can also hide a user from the global Directory by changing the sharing options.
- If you have an LDAP directory, you can use Google Cloud Directory Sync to synchronize your Google users, groups, and shared contacts to match the information in your LDAP server.
If you're having trouble uploading a user list, find the error message you received below for more information:
- File errors:
- Empty file -- your file contains no information
- Invalid header -- the columns in your file should be titled First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Password
- User errors:
- Line doesn't have 4 columns -- one of the column fields is empty
- Reserved username -- certain accounts are reserved, and can't be created as usernames (example: abuse, postmaster)
- validation -- an entry contains unacceptable characters
- Creation errors:
- Internal error -- please try again later
- Quota exceeded -- you do not have enough user space to create the accounts listed in your file
- Formatting or other errors -- please visit our discussion board for quick answers from fellow administrators.
You can save time when you need to create and/or edit multiple accounts -- just save a user list in a spreadsheet for quick uploading. Important things to remember:
- If you include an existing username in your file, the user's password, and first and last name will be updated.
- Depending on the number of accounts you are creating, uploading this information will take time. You will receive an email report once the users have been created.
- Format your file as a table and include headers to define each field, like this:
Cell A1: First Name | Cell B1: Last Name | Cell C1: Email Address | Cell D1: Password
Enter each user's information in the table and save the document type as a .csv (comma-separated values) file. If prompted to verify your selection, click Yes or OK.
Tip: Want someone to do this for you? Get professional help with setup.