Alternate secure route
The Alternate secure route setting is one of multiple options on the Gmail settings page for managing mail routing and delivery for your domain. This setting modifies routing behavior as configured in the Secure transport (TLS) compliance setting for messages that require secure transport—by creating a potential fallback secure route. Domains not listed in TLS rules can be rerouted to this alternate route.
You'll want an alternate route if you have a third-party encryption service. You can then use the Alternate secure route setting to route otherwise insecure traffic to it.
After you configure an advanced Gmail setting, it may take up to one hour for that configuration to propagate to individual user accounts. You can track prior changes under Admin console audit log
Configure the Alternate secure route setting for your domain:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- From the dashboard, go to Apps > G Suite > Gmail > Advanced settings.
- In the Organizations section, ensure that the top-level org is highlighted.
- Scroll down to the Alternate secure route section, or type Alternate secure route in the search box.
- If the setting's status is Not configured yet, click Configure (the "Add setting" dialog box displays).
- If the setting's status is Locally applied, click Edit to edit an existing setting (the "Edit setting" dialog box displays).
- Enter a short description that will display within the setting's summary.
- Select the Use alternate secure route when secure transport (TLS) is required option.
- Select a route from the drop-down list. (If you've not already done so, you must first add mail routes with the Hosts tab).
Note: All mail that requires secure transport, which is sent to hosts that you have not identified as TLS-enabled, will be routed to the alternate secure route.
- When you're finished making changes, click Add setting or Save to close the dialog box.
Note: Any settings you add will be highlighted on the "Email settings" page.
Click Save changes at the bottom of the "Email settings" page.