Network Solutions: Set up Google Apps MX records
Change your MX records to start using Gmail
You’re now ready to set up Gmail as your business email for your domain (yourcompany.com).
To do this, you have to direct the email for your domain to the Google Apps servers. It’s like registering your new address with the post office when you move so that your mail gets delivered to the right place.
To get started, you’ll log in to your domain host, which manages technical settings for your domain. You’ll then update the MX record settings to direct your email to your Google Apps account. If you were already using email with your domain, you’ll start receiving messages in Gmail instead of at your old email provider.
- Verified that you own your domain.
- Created user accounts for your team in Google Apps.
If your team members already use email with your domain, you have to create their user accounts in Google Apps before you change the MX record settings for your domain. Otherwise, they won't be able to send or receive messages with their business address in Gmail. You can create accounts for new users later.
Let's Get Started
These instructions walk you through updating MX records to your Network Solutions domain. Network Solutions not your domain host? See instructions for other hosts.Open the Setup Wizard
- If you verified your domain and are still signed in to your Admin console, skip to step 2.
If you signed out of your Admin console, sign back in by entering your Google Apps email address (this email address ends with @yourcompany.com, and is not an @gmail.com address) and your password at admin.google.com.
- At the top of the Google Admin console (Dashboard), click Set up Gmail.
If you don't see this Wizard, you can still set up your MX records directly from your Admin console. To do so, click Domains, and then click Set up Google MX records for your domain. You can then choose your domain host from the drop-down list to see the instructions to set up your MX records. (Can't see Domains in your Admin console? Click More Controls.)
- Confirm by clicking Set up email.
- You should now see the Log in to your domain host's website step in the Google Apps Setup Wizard.
Setup Wizard Instructions1. Log in to your Network Solutions account
- Leave the Google Apps Setup Wizard open.
- Open a new browser window and go to the Network Solutions site at NetworkSolutions.com.
Whenever you see the Google Apps icon in these instructions, you’ll complete that step in the Google Apps Setup Wizard.
- On the Network Solutions site, click Log In at the top of the page.
- Enter the email address and password that you created when you purchased your domain from Network Solutions, and click Login.
- In the Google Apps Setup Wizard, check the I have successfully logged in box.
- In the Network Solutions site, scroll down to My Domain Names, and click Edit DNS.
- Click Change Where Domain Points in the Advanced DNS Settings section.
- Select Advanced DNS and click Continue.
- Scroll down to Mail Servers (MX Records) and click Edit MX Records.
- In the Google Apps Setup Wizard, check the I have opened the control panel for my domain box.
- Select all MX records under Mail Server, and click Continue. Don't worry, you'll add new ones in the step below.
- In the Google Apps Setup Wizard, check the I have deleted existing MX records box.
To direct your email to your Google Apps account, you have to add new MX records to your domain. These are the records that you'll need to add:
|MX Server Address||Priority|
- Scroll down again to Mail Servers (MX Records) and click Edit MX Records.
- In the Priority field, enter 1.
- In the Mail Server field, enter ASPM.L.GOOGLE.COM.
- Repeat Steps 2 and 3, entering the remaining values (MX Server address) from the table above, and setting the Priority values respectively.
- When you have entered all the values above, click Continue at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Save Changes to confirm your new records.
Your new MX records will be displayed in the middle of the page.
- In the Google Apps Setup Wizard, check the I created MX records with these values box.
Congratulations! Your business email for your domain has now been directed to the Google Apps mail servers.
Note: The change may take up to several hours to update, so you may not receive new email messages in Gmail immediately. Until then, if you have been using another service for your email, you'll continue to receive messages at your old email provider.
If you see a MX records setup validation in progress message in the Domains page for more than a few hours, check your that the MX record values and priority have been correctly entered in your domain host.
You can also contact Google for Work Support to help guide you to change your MX records for Gmail.