Using a team account? See instead Suspend a user from a team account.
You can temporarily block a user's access to your organization's Google services by suspending their account. When you suspend an account, the user's:
- Email, documents, calendars, Currents posts, and other data aren't deleted.
- Shared documents are still accessible to collaborators.
- New email and calendar invitations are blocked.
Note: If Google suspended an account, rather than an administrator, email might still be delivered, depending on the context of the suspension.
After suspending a user, you can restore the account at any time.
Important: Suspended accounts are still charged at the same rate as active accounts on both the Annual billing plan and the Flexible plan. To avoid charges for a user account you don't need, you can delete it instead.
Before you begin
What happens to a suspended user’s account and data?
- Google Workspace access—Google Workspace services, such as Google Drive files, Gmail, and so on are unavailable to the user.
- Files and calendars—All events created by the user remain visible on invitees' calendars. The user's Google Workspace data, including all file types, Gmail, and calendar data (except for shared calendars) is unavailable to the user. For some data, you can transfer ownership to another user.
- Sites pages—Pages created by the user are unavailable to the user. As an administrator, you can remove the sites.
- Google Vault—All the user's Vault data is unavailable to the user, regardless of any retention settings or holds that might be in effect.
- Google Play—The user's Google Play developer account is unavailable to the user. You can transfer some apps to another developer account, but you can't transfer apps that offer subscription products.
- Google Keep—The user’s Keep notes are unavailable to the user. Shared Keep notes are still available to collaborators.
- Currents—The user's Currents profile is unavailable. If the user is the sole owner of a community, the community will remain. For details about what happens to a suspended Currents profile, see Currents profile suspensions.
- Brand account—If your organization uses a Brand Account, any assets owned solely by one user, such as Google My Business listings, and YouTube channels, are unavailable to the user. If there are other owners, the assets are transferred to another owner’s Google Workspace account.
- Non-core services—Content in the user's non-core services, such as YouTube and Blogger, is unavailable to the user.
If you suspend a user's account while they're in a chat in classic Hangouts, the user can continue to participate until the session is over.
Suspend an individual user
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. If you need help, see Find a user account.
- Hover over the user you want to suspend and click MoreSuspend user.
You can also find this option at the left of the user's account page.
- To confirm, click Suspend.
Suspend users in bulk
To suspend multiple users using a CSV file, follow the directions in Add several users at once.
In the downloaded CSV template, in the New Status [Upload Only] column, enter Suspended.