Create an external website
This article is for administrators of the classic Google Sites (no Publish button at the top right). Get help for administrators of the new Google Sites.
Use web builders to create your website
To help you create your external-facing website, Google has partnered with companies that offer drag and drop website creation that doesn't require that you know HTML. Instead of having to build your website from scratch, these solutions let you pick from a selection of pre-defined templates.
For example, the following Google partners offer web site products that integrate with G Suite:
External website builders support features such as:
- Search engine optimization
- Commerce and payments
- Vertical-specific templates
- Multimedia audio and video
If you want to set up an internal website for your employees to use, we suggest that you use Google Sites.
Tips on choosing your web builder
- Decide what kind of website you need. Each website hosting builder offers different features, including storage, speed, and price.
- Choose the kind of builder that’s right for you. There are usually several options. The web builder may be included with the hosting plan, or it could be an extra. Most web builders offer templates or ready-made designs for a variety of industries. Others let you build a site from scratch. Knowing what kind of site you want will help you choose the right builder.
- How easy is it to use the web builder? Does it let you customize the site the way you want? How fast can you build your site? Look for a demo or for examples of how the builder works, to see if it’s a good match.
- Web builders and templates are very handy for a small business, since you can customize a lot of the options. Just keep in mind that they may be somewhat restrictive and not always offer all the options of a custom-made site.
- Most web builders create sites that are mobile-friendly; make sure the builder you choose does.
- Compare prices, plans, and packages. Look at the cost of renewal as well as the first year, which is often discounted. Select a partner that offers all the requirements you need, now and in the future.
- For example, are the technical specs of the builder or hosting company enough for now and the future? Will the server space for the type of site you’re looking to build allow your site to grow? Can you host multiple domains? Many of the plans and packages offer details and examples.
- Consider the level of support offered. Do you need 24/7 support, and do you want telephone support, or is email and chat enough?