This article is for K–12 and higher institutions. If you’re a homeschool, go to Get started with G Suite for Education for homeschools instead.
G Suite for Education provides a suite of cloud-based tools to nonprofit K–12 and higher education institutions and homeschools. The tools and services include messaging and collaboration apps, such as Gmail, Google Drive and Calendar, Classroom, and so on.
If your school has sophisticated IT needs, consider G Suite Enterprise for Education. It has additional enterprise-grade capabilities, such as advanced controls for administrators and enhanced analytics.
Does my organization qualify?
To qualify for G Suite for Education, educational institutions must meet certain criteria.
K–12 and higher institutions must:
- Have verified not-for-profit status.
- Be a government-recognized, formally accredited institution delivering nationally or internationally-approved certifications at primary, secondary, or third level.
For a complete list of requirements, go to Qualifications for G Suite for Education.
After you submit your request and verify your domain, we review your organization’s eligibility. Approval requests are typically resolved within 14 business days.
Step 1: Request approval for G Suite for Education
You get approval for G Suite for Education by signing up or upgrading your existing G Suite subscription.
Upgrade your G Suite subscription
- Sign in to your G Suite administrator account.
- Open the upgrade form.
- Complete the form and click Submit.
Sign up for G Suite for Education
- Go to the G Suite for Education sign-up page.
- Enter your details in the form.
- Review the G Suite for Education School Consent terms and click Agree and Continue.
- Review the G Suite for Education and G Suite for Nonprofits Agreement terms and click Agree and create account.
After you sign up, we'll take you to your Google Admin console where you can verify domain ownership (if you signed up an existing domain) and continue setting up services for your users.
If you signed up for G Suite with a domain that you're already using, you need to verify your domain before we can review your application. This verification process ensures that no one else is using your domain for Google services without your permission or sending email that appears to come from your school.
Note: If you purchased your domain when you signed up for G Suite, no action is needed. it should be automatically verified within 24 hours.
- Verify that you own your domain. For details, go to Verify your domain for G Suite.
- Gather the required documentation for the next part of your approval process. To confirm your eligibility, provide the following information:
- Official website of the educational institution.
- Scanned copy of institution's official accreditation document stating educational status
- Proof of nonprofit status:
- US applicants—Scanned copy of Employer ID/Federal Tax ID number or proof of 501(c)3 status.
- Non-US applicants—Scanned copy of official document stating nonprofit status.
- Your name, contact email (not related to G Suite account) and title, role, or affiliation with your educational institution.
After approval: Add users and set up your organization
Once you get approval for G Suite for Education, you can add users to your domain, set up apps, and access advanced features, such as mail migration.