Tailor service settings for different users
You can tailor many service settings in the Google Admin console for different users in your account. For example, you might want to let only your sales department share calendars publicly. To do this, place everyone in the sales department in their own organizational unit. Then turn on public calendar sharing just for those users.
Customize services for different users
- Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- Add an organizational unit for the users whose settings you want to change.
- Move users to the organizational unit.
- Go to the settings page for the service.
- Click a section to open the service settings you want to change.
If the settings can be applied to different organizations, your organization tree opens to the left.
- In the organization tree, select the organization that contains your users. If you haven't created any new organizations, only the top-level organization is available and your setting will apply for all users.
Make your settings.
- To override an inherited value, change the setting. The text under the setting changes to Locally applied.
- To return a locally applied setting to its inherited value, click the Use inherited button. This button appears to the right when you click into a settings section, and when you hover over a section that has settings you want to change.
Note: Initially, an organization inherits the settings of its parent. You therefore only need to change the settings you want to customize. Settings you change are labeled Locally applied. Settings inherited from the parent are labeled Inherited.
- Click Save changes.
It can take up to 24 hours for a new setting to take effect, although it usually happens much faster.