Tailor service settings for different users
You can tailor many service settings in the Google Admin console for different users in your account. For example, you might want to let only your sales department share calendars publicly. To do this, place everyone in the sales department in their own organizational unit. Then turn on public calendar sharing just for those users. See below for exactly how this works.
To tailor Google services for different users:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Add an organizational unit for the users whose settings you want to change.
- Move users to the organizational unit.
- Open the service settings you want to change.
- If necessary, click at the top to open your organization tree.
- In the tree at the left, select the organization containing your users. If you haven't created any new organizations, only the top-level organization is available and your setting will apply for all users.
Make your settings. Initially, an organization inherits the settings of its parent. You therefore only need to change the settings you want to customize. Settings you change are labeled Locally applied. Settings inherited from the parent are labeled Inherited.
- To override an inherited value, change the setting. The text under the setting changes to Locally applied.
- To return a locally applied setting to its inherited value, hover over the setting you want to change. Then click the Use inherited button that appears to the right.
- Click Save changes.
It can take up to 24 hours for a new setting to take effect, although it usually happens much faster.