Impact of changing a username
This article describes the effects of renaming a user (changing a user's primary email address) in various Google services. When an account is renamed, this change is reflected across G Suite.
Mobile devices and IMAP connections
The effects depend upon the behavior of the client. If the client lets you update the login for the account, your access to G Suite should continue. If the client doesn't let you change your login, you'll need to delete the old account and add a new one with the new name.
- When you change a user's primary email address, G Suite retains the old address as an email alias for the user, to ensure continuous mail delivery. If you want to re-use the old address, you first need to delete the email alias. Messages the user sends to their old address do not appear in the Inbox.
- Users retain access to all mail received under the previous name.
- Users need to create new Gmail signatures for their new primary email address.
- Users don't receive any returned read receipts for messages sent from the old address.
- Users need to update their Gmail filters to use the new primary email address.
- Events created before the rename show the old address while new events display the new address.
- All secondary calendars (any additional calendars created by a user) will continue to display the original primary domain name.
- If the original primary domain (which becomes a secondary domain following the rename) is deleted, all secondary calendars and associated events are also deleted and can't be recovered.
- All video call links in existing events (including recurring events) will include the old domain name. You cannot attend by clicking on the link. This is also true with email reminders and change notifications emails. Events created after the change will display the new domain in the video call link.
Other users previously associated with the renamed user automatically see the new username in their chat lists and are able to chat with the renamed user. These other users will no longer see the old username but can still find it via autocomplete. If they invite the older name to chat, it is added to their list but without an icon. No new chat conversations with this name are allowed.
Teacher and Administrator class ownerships remain the same after a name change, with the new name replacing the old name anywhere it was previously displayed. All documents are owned by the new username, but past documents with a username in the title are not changed to include the new username.
- Student class memberships remain the same after a name change. All documents are owned by the new username, but past assignments with a username in the document title are not changed to include the new username.
- The renamed user's domain profile gains the new username but displays the old username with a custom tag appended to it: Obsolete
- For other users, the contact entry for the renamed user displays both the new email address and the old one. The old one will be marked with the same custom tag: Obsolete
- The old email address will still show up in autocomplete results, as it is now an alias of the changed account. Emails sent to the old address will be delivered to the new one.
All documents become owned by the new username.
The user's old address will continue to appear in their friends' Google+ circles. If you remove the old address as an email alias, the user will no longer be in those circles, and people in the user's circle will have to add that user again using the user's new email address.
G Suite Marketplace and App Engine apps
The user must reinstall any G Suite Marketplace or App Engine apps that use OAuth or OpenID to continue using them after a username change. If an app saves data based on the domain name or the user's email address, that data is lost after the change.
Google Play Developer account
If a Google Play Developer account is associated with a user account name you want to change to use a new domain, note that the Developer account will be orphaned after making the change. To maintain access to the apps in the previous Google Play Developer account, you need to create a new Google Play Developer account using your new user account name and request an applications transfer for apps in the previous account.
Users may see old email addresses in autocomplete when using Hangouts. However, they won't be able to start new conversations with the old email addresses.
Any searches or retention policies that are based on filters of the form "from:user@old_domain" or "to:user@old_domain" need to be recreated.