Finding messages with email log search
Here's how to find messages that are sent to or from an organization using email log search. See the email log search overview for additional guidelines. Be sure you wait an hour for the message to appear, select an acceptable date range, and enter only one sender or recipient.
To use email log search:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console. You must sign in as a super administrator.
- Click Reports.
- Click Email Log.
- Select a date range using the drop-down menu, or specify the range using the calendar. The time zone is displayed adjacent to the date selection. The times shown represent the time zone of the computer used to sign in to the Admin console.
If you want to view all messages sent and received during a selected date range, you can skip the next step and begin your search.
- Enter search criteria in one or more of the following fields:
- Sender - the email address of the sender, either the complete address or a partial match
- Recipient - the email address of the recipient, either the complete address or a partial match
- Message ID - the unique message identifier located in the message header, such as:
See Message headers for instructions on finding message headers of particular mail providers.
- Click Search. A counter appears showing how long the query is taking.
Messages matching your search parameters are returned in a list on this page.
Optionally, click Export all to export your search results to a .csv file. Clicking this button initiates a new query, so it may take some time before the file is ready to open. You can then save the file locally, and view the results with a spreadsheet editor of your choice.
You can view a maximum of 10,000 results for each .csv export (if you reach this limit, narrow the scope of your search). Note that a given email message may have many results, as the log results display an entry for each message recipient.
- Use the column headers and their values to find the message you seek.
For instance, the Status column shows each message's final disposition, while the Direction column identifies whether the message was sent, received, or both.
- Use the arrows at the top right of the log search page to navigate through the list.
- Click a subject or message ID to see the message’s details. See Viewing message details with email log search for a description of the information shown.