Email log search overview
What is email log search?
Email log search gives administrators the ability to sift through the last month of delivery logs for their domains and evaluate message transit. This is useful for tracking down a sender or recipient's missing messages, such as those that have been quarantined as spam or otherwise routed incorrectly. Use this tool to determine the IP addresses sending and receiving mail or troubleshoot how policies affect mail flow.
How do I begin?
- Learn about the tool. See the answers below for guidelines and tips.
- Perform a search - See Finding messages with email log search for steps on using the tool.
- Examine the results - See Viewing message details for a description of the output.
- Analyze the route - See Interpreting message details for recommendations on using log search results to investigate delivery issues.
What messages appear in results?
- Messages sent from one hour ago to 30 days in the past
- Messages to or from any Google Apps user in your domains
- Messages to Google Groups and other mailing lists containing your Google Apps users
What search criteria can I use?
- One sender or recipient at a time using the complete or partial email address, even the domain name
- A specific message ID
- Focused queries are faster and recommended. Search for a specific message ID and limit the date range to speed results.