Troubleshoot A records
After you configure A records in your domain's DNS settings, you can check the status of your change by looking up which A records are currently in effect for your domain. Do this by using a third-party web service or running DNS queries from your computer. For example, if you configured an A record to enable your naked domain address, but typing the naked address in a browser doesn't redirect to your web site, use one of these tools to see if your change has gone live and to verify you made the change correctly.
Remember it can take up to 72 hours for changes to DNS records to take effect.Look up A records using a free web service
- Enter your domain name in the free DNS record lookup tool provided by the following website:
To query for A records only, precede you domain name with "a:" like so:
To see results for a domain already configured to use Google Apps, enter:
- Submit the form.
- Verify the results. The values returned should match those on the A record values page.
nslookup comes with most operating systems and can be used to look up name server details from your Windows, Mac, or Linux command line.
To use it:
- Open a terminal. In Windows, do this by clicking Start > Run, entering cmd and pressing enter.
- Enter and run the following command:
nslookup -q=a spottedfig.org
- Examine the output, which will resemble:
Server: 126.96.36.199 Address: 188.8.131.52#53 Non-authoritative answer: Name: spottedfig.org Address: 184.108.40.206 Name: spottedfig.org Address: 220.127.116.11 Name: spottedfig.org Address: 18.104.22.168 Name: spottedfig.org Address: 22.214.171.124
- Ensure the latter section contains the IP addresses of the servers you specified in your A records:
- Confirm the IP address listed in the first line is to the name server you specified.
- Optionally, if your name server isn't provided by Google, you may append
nslookupcommand to use the Google Public DNS resolution service and bypass your own name servers, like so:
nslookup -q=a spottedfig.com 126.96.36.199
- Again, interpret the results and ensure the correct IP addresses are returned.
Still need help? Contact your domain host for more assistance.