This article is for administrators who want to remove a domain from their account. To cancel or delete your Google Workspace account, go to Cancel Google Workspace.
If you have an additional domain that you no longer use with your managed Google Account, such as Google Workspace or Cloud Identity, you can remove the domain from your account. Your users will stop receiving email and other Google services at the domain.
Important: If you remove a domain, any sites built in that domain are permanently deleted. Before removing the domain, copy any sites that you want to save to another Google domain.
- Sign in as a user in the domain that you want to delete.
- Follow the steps in Make a copy of your entire site.
If you’re removing a secondary domain (has its own set of users), you need to complete the following steps:
- Delete any groups associated with this domain. For details, go to Delete a group from your organization.
- Remove any email aliases associated with this domain. For details, go to Remove a user's email alias.
- In the Admin console, go to Menu DirectoryUsers.
- Use one of the following options to find users with the domain that you’re removing:
- Rename any users that are associated with the domain that you’re removing. For details, go to Rename users with your new domain.
Tip: If you have a large number of users, you can rename them in bulk. Follow the steps in Rename user addresses in bulk after changing your primary domain.
- Remove any test or alias domains associated with the domain, for example, your_domain.test-google-a.com.
Before you begin: If you’re removing a secondary domain, complete the steps in I'm removing a secondary domain (above on this page).
In the Admin console, go to Menu AccountDomainsManage domains.
- Find the domain that you're removing and click Remove.
- Click Remove Domain to confirm.
Reuse your domain's name
- Usually, you can reuse a domain's name in your current managed Google Account within 30 minutes of removing it. However, if the domain had a large number of users, you might need to wait up to 24 hours
- To use the domain name with a new managed Google Account, you might need to wait up to 48 hours. Learn more