User-level email routing options
This feature isn't available in the legacy free edition of Google Apps.
The Email routing section of a user's information page enables you to specify where to deliver email addressed to that user. By default, the email is delivered to the recipient's Gmail inbox and to any additional destinations specified for the domain (as set with the Domain-level routing options). You can also forward the email to additional email addresses.
To forward messages that are addressed to specific recipients:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Find the user account. You can either search or browse:
- Search: Enter the user name in the search box at the top of the Google Admin console, then click Search accounts.
- Browse: Click Users. If you created an organizational structure, select an organization from the organizational structure.
- Click the user account to display the user information page.
- Click Account.
- In the Email routing section, click Add another destination.
- In the text box in the new row, enter the email address to which you want this user's messages forwarded.
You can't successfully forward email to any email address that is hosted by G Suite, which includes other addresses in your domain. To forward a user's email to a G Suite address, have the user set up a forwarding address from his or her Gmail account.
- Deselect the Change SMTP envelope check box if you do not want the G Suite mail server to update the recipient address when it forwards the email. By default, the G Suite email server updates the To: field of the forwarded message to the email address you entered at step 5. For example, when the email server forwards a message addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org to userX@additional_destination.com, it updates the To: field to userX@additional_destination.com. Deselect the check box if you want the forwarded message to appear in the new inbox with the original address email@example.com in the To: field.
- To prevent this user's email from being forwarded to any additional destinations set for the domain as a whole, deselect the Inherit routes from domain check box. Domain-level destinations are set on the Email settings page. In most cases, you want to leave this check box selected.
- To prevent this user's email from being delivered to his or her Gmail inbox, deselect the G Suite Email check box.
Note: Make sure you select at least one of the Destination check boxes. Otherwise, no email for this user will be delivered. If the user is part of an organization unit that is configured for non-gmail mailbox routing, then make sure the G Suite Email check box is checked.
- Click Save changes.
It can take up to an hour for the changes to propagate through Google systems.