Route users’ email to another address
If you have the legacy free edition of G Suite, upgrade to G Suite Basic to get this feature.
As an administrator, you can specify where to deliver a user's email. By default, email is delivered to the recipient's Gmail inbox and to any additional destinations specified for the domain (as set with the Domain-level routing options). In addition, you can forward users' emails to a maximum of 12 additional email addresses.
Forward messages to a specific recipient
- From the Admin console Home page, go to Users.
- In the Users list, find the user. If you need help, see Find a user account.
- Click the user’s name to open their account page.
- Click User information.
- In the Email routing section, click Configure email routing.
- Under Email routing, click Add another destination.
- In the new row that appears, enter the forwarding email address for the user's messages and press Enter.
- Click Save.
Notes: You can't forward email to email addresses hosted by G Suite (which includes other addresses in your domain), unless the domain of the destination email address uses an external mail relay or third-party mail service. To forward a user's email to a G Suite address, ask the user to set up a forwarding address in their Gmail account.
Email addresses you forward mail to must be hosted on a valid domain. If the domain you're adding doesn't have valid MX records, the error message Email address contains invalid domain name appears.
- (Optional) If you don't want the G Suite mail server to update the recipient address when it forwards the email, uncheck the Change SMTP envelope box.
- (Optional) To prevent a user's email from being forwarded to any additional destinations set for the domain as a whole, uncheck the Routes inherited from your domain box. Domain-level destinations are set on the Email settings page. In most cases, leave this box checked.
- (Optional) To prevent the user's email from being delivered to their Gmail inbox, uncheck the G Suite Email box.
Note: Be sure to select at least one of the Destination checkboxes. If you don't, email won't be delivered to the user. If the user is part of an organization unit configured for non-Gmail mailbox routing, make sure that the G Suite Email box is checked.
- Click Save.
It can take up to an hour for the changes to take effect.