Managing 'Send mail as' account behavior with the 'Treat as an alias' setting
If you use Gmail's Send mail as feature to send messages on behalf of another email account, you may encounter the following issues:
- Messages you send to a Send mail as address appear as unread in your Inbox, in addition to appearing in your Sent Mail.
- If you receive a message from a Send mail as address and you click Reply, the To: field is incorrectly populated with your primary address.
These issues occur because Gmail treats your Send mail as address as an alias of your primary address. You can change this behavior in your mail settings by deselecting Treat as an alias for a given Send mail as address. Messages you send to the Send mail as address no longer appear as unread in your Inbox, and the To: field populates correctly when you reply to a message sent from the Send mail as address.
To change the Treat as an alias setting, do the following:
- Sign in to Gmail.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right and click Settings.
- Go to the Accounts tab.
- Under Send mail as, find the email address that you want to configure and click edit info.
- Deselect Treat as an alias.