Turn Groups for Business on or off
As a Google Apps administrator, you can control who uses Google Groups for Business in your organization. Just turn Groups for Business on or off for those people in your Admin console. You need to turn on the service if you've previously been using Admin console groups and want to upgrade to using forums and other Groups for Business features. Otherwise, Groups for Business is probably turned on by default.
Requires Gmail. Before turning on Groups for Business, be sure to activate Gmail so email messages are delivered to your groups.
To control who uses Groups for Business
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for select groups of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsGoogle AppsGroups for Business.
If you don't see Groups for Business on the Google Apps page:
- Click the add service icon .
- Under Groups for Business, click Add it now.
- Return to the list of Google Apps services and click Groups for Business.
- At the top of the gray box, click More and choose:
- On for everyone to turn on the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- Off to turn off the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- On for some organizations to change the setting only for some users.
- If you chose On for some organizations:
- Select the organization that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- Click Override or Inherit, whichever appears.
- If you selected Override, click On or Off to change the setting.
The Inherit option indicates that the organization uses the same setting as its parent. The Override option lets you turn the setting on or off for the organization, independent of the setting for the organization’s parent.
- Click Apply twice to confirm.
Learn more about the organizational structure.
What happens if you...Have existing Admin console groups
After you turn on Groups for Business, any groups you already created with the Groups control in your Admin console become visible in your corporate Groups directory, depending on each group's visibility settings. (Note that it might take up to 6 hours for the groups to appear). Your existing groups keep their current sharing settings. For details, see Migrate Admin groups to Groups for Business.
If you turn off the Groups for Business service:
- Existing groups are not deleted: Groups that you or your users created remain in your Google Apps domain, so anyone who could previously send messages to the groups can still do so. If you want to prevent the use of these group addresses, you must also delete the groups.
- Existing groups remain in your Admin console: As an administrator, you'll still have access to all the groups in your Admin console. Users, however, won't see them anymore on their My groups page or in the Groups directory.
- Groups for Business features are removed: Your groups will no longer have any of the the features that were available only in the Groups for Business service, such as:
- Group discussion archives
- Email footers
- Subject line prefixes
- Custom reply-to addresses
- Maximum message size settings
- Email digests
- Message moderation
- Subscribe and unsubscribe options
If you later turn Groups for Business back on:
- Settings and data are restored: Your groups have the same settings and data that they had when you turned the service off. For example, if a group had a discussion archive, that archive is restored to that state it was in when you turned off Groups for Business.
- Deleted groups are not restored: If you delete any groups after turning off Groups for Business, those groups can't be restored.
After turning on Groups for Business: Set up Groups for your team.
- Control who can access Google services
- Opt in to new services (to turn new services on or off by default)
- Google Apps for Education Core and Additional services