When you enable G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GSSMO), your organization's Global Address List in G Suite automatically becomes available to each GSSMO user in Outlook. The Global Address List is a searchable directory of all the users, groups, shared contacts, and resources defined for your G Suite domain. For details, see What is the Global Address List.
If you modify the Global Address List in G Suite, each user's list is updated in Outlook, too. It can take up to 24 hours for updates to became available in Outlook or for users to see the Global Address List after they install GSSMO.
Before you begin
To ensure that the Global Address List is made available to GSSMO users, you need to enable contact sharing in your Google Admin console. For details, see Turn the global Directory on or off.
What's available to Outlook users?
GSSMO users in Outlook can:
- See a Global Address List of all your organization's G Suite users, domain groups, shared contacts, and meeting rooms. See supported fields below.
- Search for contacts by user, group, and resource address in the Outlook Address Book. Entering the first few characters of an address in the Address Book autocompletes the top names that match an entry.
- Access free/busy information for other users and resources, such as conference rooms. You can also include free/busy information for people in your organization who are still using Exchange. For details, see enable Google Calendar Connectors.
What's not available to Outlook users?
GSSMO users in Outlook won't be able to see Exchange data that hasn't been replicated in G Suite.
Disable the Global Address List
If you don't want users to have access to your Global Address List, you can disable the feature for the whole organization or by individual user.Option 1: Disable contact sharing for your organization
- From the dashboard, go to Apps G Suite Directory.Where is it?
- Click Sharing settings Contact sharing.
- Select Disable contact sharing and click Save.
You can disable contact sharing for a user by adding a registry key on each person's computer. For details, see Disable the Global Address List.
Your Global Address List includes all G Suite users, groups, shared contacts, and resources defined in your domain. GSSMO supports the following fields:
- General-Zip code
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Business
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Business2
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Fax
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Assistant
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Home
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Home2
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Mobile
- Phone/Notes-Phone Numbers-Pager