Migrate Admin groups to Groups for Business
There are two ways to use Google Groups with Google Apps - Admin console Groups and Groups for Business. If you've already created groups using the Groups control in the Admin console, and then turn on Groups for Business, all your existing groups are:
- Automatically migrated to the new Groups for Business service
- Still listed on the Groups page in your Admin console
- Not listed in your domain's Groups directory, which all your users can now access. To show these groups in your Groups directory, you'll need to edit their directory settings.
Existing groups that are migrated to Groups for Business receive the default sharing settings. You can edit these settings on the Groups for Business page in your Admin console.
Access-level settings are applied to migrated groups differently, depending on whether a group was created before or after the Groups for Business service was initially released in December 2009:
The group was created AFTER Groups for Business was released
The migrated group receives the equivalent access level in the Groups for Business service. Learn more about access levels for Groups for Business.
The group was created BEFORE Groups for Business was released
The migrated group receives these default settings:
- Who can join the group: No one—only owners and managers can add members.
- Who can send messages to the group: No change. For example, if the group was set to allow only owners to send email to the group, the same setting applies to the group after migration to Groups for Business.
- Who can view the members list: Only owners and managers. This setting determines who can expand the group's members list in calendar invitations and view it in your Groups directory.
Tip: To allow all users in your domain to view a group's members list and expand it in calendar invitations, edit the group's settings. Change the View members permission to All members of the group. Learn more about displaying a members list in calendar invitations.
- Who can view the discussion archive: Archiving is disabled.