Problems migrating data
Here's how to troubleshoot problems you might have when using Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook® to import data to Google Apps. For complete information on using Google Apps Sync, see the Google Apps Sync help.
How do I import data with Google Apps Sync?
Some or all of my data isn't importing from my old account
Here are some steps to troubleshoot this problem:
- Verify that your domain administrator has enabled the Email Migration API in the Google Admin console (see these administrator instructions).
- Check that you're connected to the Internet for the duration of the migration and not experiencing network connectivity issues.
- Don't import from an .OST file. Google Apps Sync supports importing only from a .PST file or directly from your Exchange account. Learn more.
- Migrate directly from Google Apps Sync and not via drag-and-drop from IMAP folders. These other methods aren't supported by Google Apps Sync and might cause migration issues. If you did use one of these other methods and some data didn't import, recreate your profile and import using Google Apps Sync.
I'm getting duplicate contacts and calendar events after importing
This happens when you import contact or calendar data multiple times into the same Google Apps account. Import your data only once or else duplicates can occur. If you do end up with duplicate data, do one of the following:
- From your Google Apps interface (not Outlook), delete your calendar
- Go to your Calendar
- Click and select Settings.
- Click the Calendar tab, select your calendar, then click Delete all events in this calendar.
- Also delete all your personal contacts. Then use Google Apps Sync to reimport your calendar and contacts. Learn about reimporting.
- From your Google Apps interface (not Outlook), remove duplicate calendar entries and contacts manually.
In particular, if you need to delete your Google Apps profile and recreate it, don't import data a second time as it's already in your Google Apps account from the first time you created the profile. Learn more.
My administrator asked to see my trace files. Where can I find these files?
Google Apps Sync trace files:
- Windows 7 / Windows Vista: C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Local\Google\Google Apps Sync\Tracing\
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-name\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Apps Sync\Tracing\
Unified Single Sign On trace files:
- Windows 7 / Windows Vista: C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Local\Google\Identity
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-name\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Identity
I'm getting the error: One or more items failed to import. Does the rest of my data continue importing anyway?
Yes. You can find details about the failure in Outlook's Sync Issues/Local Failures folder. However, the rest of your data will continue importing unattended.
Certain classes of messages (read receipts, delivery/non-delivery reports) aren't being imported
Google Apps Sync currently doesn't migrate certain message classes, including read receipts and delivery/non-delivery reports.
Are there other known data migration issues?
There might be. See known Issues and look under Email Clients and Mobile Devices.