Turn Google+ on or off for users
As a Google Apps administrator, you can control who in your organization uses Google+ from their account. Just turn Google+ on or off for those people in your Google Admin console. People who have Google+ turned on can use it for social networking at your company or school.
Before you beginGoogle+ might already be enabled
Google+ is enabled automatically for users if all of the following apply:
- You have Google Apps or Google Apps for Work.
- Your Admin console is set up to automatically opt in to new services when Google releases them.
- Calendar, Drive, Talk/Hangouts, and Google Photos are turned on for your users.
Using Google+ requires using the following services. These services must therefore be turned on for users in your Admin console:
- Google Drive for document sharing in Hangouts *
- Google Photos for photo sharing *
- Google Calendar for Google+ Events. Turn on Calendar
- Google Talk/Hangouts for real-time messaging. Turn on Talk/Hangouts
Review all considerations before enabling Google+.
Enable Google+1. Enable Google+ in the Admin console
Before you begin: To turn the service on or off for select groups of users, put their accounts in an organizational unit.
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- From the Admin console dashboard, go to AppsAdditional Google ServicesGoogle+.
- At the top of the gray box, click and choose:
- On for everyone to turn on the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- Off to turn off the service for all users (click again to confirm).
- On for some organizations to change the setting only for some users.
- If you chose On for some organizations:
- Select the organization that contains the users whose settings you want to change.
- Click Override or Inherit, whichever is showing.
- If you selected Override, click On or Off to change the setting.
The Inherit option indicates that the organization uses the same setting as its parent. The Override option lets you turn the setting on or off for the organization, independent of the setting for the organization’s parent.
- Click Apply. Then click again to confirm.
Learn more about the organizational structure.
- Check the box to acknowledge Google+ conditions of use. Then click Turn Google+ on.
NOte: Turning on users' Google+ service automatically turns on their Drive and Google Photos services, if these services aren't already on.
- Make sure users' Calendar and Talk/Hangouts services are also turned on.