Typing addresses in Google Apps
To make it easy to enter addresses when sending mail or sharing documents in Google Apps, Google Contacts fills in, or autocompletes, names as you type. When you begin typing in an address field in any app, a list of matching contact names appears. This list narrows as you type more of the address. You can then select any address from this list to enter it in the field.
Where addresses autocomplete
Addresses autocomplete in address fields of all services in your Google Apps account. These services include Gmail, Calendar, Hangouts, Drive, Google+, and more. For example, addresses autocomplete in the:
- To, Cc, and Bcc fields when composing a message in Gmail
- Add: Guests field when inviting people to a Calendar event
- Invite people field when sharing a Doc
- To field when sharing a Google+ post
- The search field in Gmail's Chat application
- Any other address field in Google Apps.
Which addresses autocomplete
When typing in an address field in any service, the following addresses can appear:
- Global Directory contacts (if enabled). These include internal users and can also include external contacts and Calendar resources. For details, see Manage the global Directory.
- Google Groups created in your Admin console or with Google Groups for Business. For details, see Managing Groups for Google Apps.
- Personal contacts and groups. A user's personal contacts appear in their own autocomplete list but not in other users’ lists.