This article is for administrators setting up GWSMO for their users. If you're a user, go to Download & install GWSMO.
Before you download and install Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GWSMO), you need to complete some steps in your Google Admin console. Then, you can decide whether you want to allow smart features and personalization and whether your users can see availability information for Exchange users.
Step 1: Set up GWSMO in the Admin console
Before you or anyone else in your organization can use GWSMO, you must turn on the following features in your Google Admin console:
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
- To turn on GWSMO for your account:
- Click Menu AppsGoogle WorkspaceGmail.
- Click End user accessGoogle Workspace Sync.
- Check the Enable Google Workspace Sync for Microsoft Outlook for my users box and click Save.
- To turn on the Google Calendar service (so users can create profiles), go to Turn Calendar on or off for users.
- To turn on contact sharing for your organization (so users' Global Address Lists are dynamically updated):
- Click Menu DirectoryDirectory settings.
- Click Sharing settingsContact sharing.
- Check Enable contact sharing.
- Click Save.
- To turn on the Drive service, go to Turn Drive on or off for users.
- To allow users to install Drive apps (required to synchronize notes to Drive):
- Click Menu AppsGoogle WorkspaceDrive and DocsFeatures and Applications.
- Click Drive SDK and check the Allow users to access Google Drive with the Drive SDK API box.
- Click Save.
Step 2: Install GWSMO
Users in your organization who want to sync their data between Google Workspace and Outlook must have GWSMO installed on their client computer. There are 2 options for installation.
Option 1: Push an MSI file to your users
- Download the MSI file from the GWSMO download page.
Use the correct edition (32 bit or 64 bit) for your users' version of Outlook.
- Using the software that you use to deploy your organization's applications, push the MSI file to your users.
- Instruct your users to install the file. Your users can follow the instructions at My admin downloaded GWSMO to my computer.
Option 2: Let your users download & install GWSMO themselves
- Instruct your users to download the Recommended for users EXE file from the GWSMO download page.
- Your users can complete the installation by following the instructions at I'm downloading & installing GWSMO myself.
The default location on each client computer is C:\Program Files\Google\Google Apps Sync.
Step 3: Turn on smart features & personalization (Optional)
Before you migrate data, you need to decide if smart features in Gmail and Google Chat and Meet as well as personalization features in other Google products can use data from Gmail, Chat, and Meet. For certain features to work, such as autosorting in Gmail, smart features and personalization must be turned on in the target account before you migrate data.
Learn more about turning on smart features and personalization.
Step 4: Set up availability information for Exchange (Optional)
You need to take some additional steps if you want your users to be able to query availability information for Exchange users, and you're using GWSMO in a mixed Google Workspace and Exchange environment.
1. Set up Google Calendar Connector Web Service
For instructions on how to install and set up, go to Google Calendar Connector Web Service Installation and Configuration Guide.
- When you set up the web service, make sure you do not set up the Google Calendar Connector Sync Service.
- Google Support cannot assist with troubleshooting your Google Calendar Connector Web Service installation.
2. Create a registry key
On each computer that has GWSMO, create the following registry key and string value. If you're running a 32-bit version of Outlook on a 64-bit version of Windows, make sure you create the registry key in the correct location for 32-bit applications. For instructions on using the Windows registry, go to Configure options through the registry.
- Registry key— HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Google Apps Sync\CalendarSync
- String value—Value name: FreeBusyURL; Value data: <URL for the Calendar connector>
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.