You’re now ready to set up Gmail as your business email for your domain (and, if you haven’t already, verify your domain).
To do this, you need to sign in to your domain host and direct the email for your domain to the Google Workspace servers. It’s like registering your new address with the post office when you move so that your mail gets delivered to the right place. We’ll walk you through the steps.
Before you begin
- Verify that you own your domain.
Or, you can verify now with an MX record. We’ll show you how while you're setting up the MX records.
- Create user accounts in Google Workspace for your team.
If your team members already use email with your domain (their email address ends with your domain), you have to create their user accounts in Google Workspace before you change any MX record settings. Otherwise, they won't be able to send or receive messages with their business address in Gmail.
Change your MX records
These instructions walk you through updating MX records to your OVH domain. OVH not your domain host? See instructions for other hosts.
Before you can modify the DNS records of domains hosted by OVH, you must have an MX Plan with OVH and have added a DNS zone to your OVH account.
- Log in to your account at www.ovh.com by entering your username and password.
- In the My products and services section of the OVH Dashboard, under DNS zones, click your domain name.
- Delete any existing MX records:
- Click the three dot icon at the right of a record.
- Select Delete record, then Confirm.
- At right click Add an entry, then select MX as the record type.
- Complete the form:
- Leave the Sub-domain field empty.
- Leave the default value in the TTL field.
- In the Priority field, enter 1.
- In the Target field, enter SMTP.GOOGLE.COM. Include the period (.) at the end of the MX record.
- Click Next.
- Click Confirm.
Complete MX records setup
Return to the browser tab where you have the Google Workspace setup tool open. (You can reopen the tool if you closed it.)
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Activate Gmail.
Important! Some registrars may require additional time to publish your MX records. If the Google Workspace setup tool can't find your new records, wait an hour before you try again.
If you need additional help with your DNS settings, please contact your registrar. They are experts in managing your domain and are eager to help you.
Google, Google Workspace, and related marks and logos are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names are trademarks of the companies with which they are associated.