Enable read receipts
If you have the legacy free edition of G Suite, upgrade to G Suite Basic to get this feature.
As an administrator, you can allow users in your organization to request or return read receipts. A read receipt is an email notification delivered to the sender when a recipient opens an email. See Requesting read receipts for more information.
You can also limit which senders users can return receipts to. For example, you might allow them to return receipts only to senders within your organization. You can also specify whether Gmail sends the receipt automatically when a recipient opens the message or asks recipients to approve sending the receipt; see Returning read receipts for more information.
Important: Don't rely on read receipts for certifying mail delivery. Although read receipts generally work across email systems, you may sometimes get a receipt for an unread message or not get a receipt even though the recipient has read the message.
Set up read receipts
From the Admin console Home page, go to AppsG SuiteGmailUser settings.
- If you've created suborganizations in your Admin console, under Organizations at the left, select the organizational unit you want to configure settings for. The Organizations section isn't available if no suborganizations have been created. For details, see Configure advanced settings for Gmail.
- In the Email read receipts section, specify the senders your users can return receipts to:
- Do not allow read receipts to be sent: Disables requesting and returning read receipts.
- Allow email read receipts to be sent to all addresses in my organization as well as the following email addresses: Restricts responses to addresses in your domains and any external addresses that you specify. Separate external email addresses with commas. You can enter up to 100 addresses; each address can have up to 256 characters. If you don't include any addresses, users will only be able to return receipts to other users in your domains.
Check the box Prompt the user for each read receipt request to ask users each time they read an email if they want to send a receipt. Uncheck the box to automatically send read receipts.
Allow email read receipts to be sent to any email address: Allows read receipts to be requested and returned from email addresses inside and outside your organization. Users are always prompted to send a receipt.
- At the bottom, click Save.
It might take up to an hour for your changes to apply to individual user accounts. You can track prior changes in the Admin console audit log.
How read receipts work
- Read receipts work across most email systems, so that users can get notifications from recipients using other email systems that support read receipts. However, the behavior of the receipts may differ depending on the recipient's email software and how they access the message. For example, the receipt may be sent automatically (without asking for the recipient's approval) if the recipient opens it using an IMAP client, POP client, or a G Suite Sync client. Some non-IMAP mobile email systems may not return receipts at all.
- To protect users' email addresses, Gmail only delivers read receipts for messages sent to the user's address, not messages sent to group mailing lists or aliases.