Common issues for Google Apps Connector
Update: As of March 5, 2015 Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry® Enterprise Server will not work and mail will cease syncing. Learn more.
This document details common problems and troubleshooting methods for Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry Enterprise Server. For more information about Google Apps Connector, see the Overview and Download pages.
Each issue listed below includes a brief description of the issue. Some answers include a link to a detailed description in the Google Apps Connector Help Forum. Follow the links for more details.
Supported FeaturesWhat versions of BlackBerry Enterprise Server are supported?
What versions of BlackBerry Enterprise Server are supported?
NOTICE: Support for RIM BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.7 MR 3 ended on July 2, 2011. If you are using Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry Enterprise Server, plan to upgrade to RIM BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0.2 or 5.0.3.
Supported versions of BlackBerry Enterprise Server vary by version of the Google Apps Connector.
- Connector 1.0.x to 2.0.x supported BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.6 (MR7 or MR8).
- Connector 2.2.x supported BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.6 (MR7 or MR8), and 4.1.7 (MR3).
- Connector 3.0.x supported BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.7 (MR3) and BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.2.
- Connector 4.0.x supports BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.2 and 5.0.3.
How do I upgrade BlackBerry Enterprise Server from 4.1.x to 5.0.x while using Google Apps Connector?
- Stop the BlackBerry Dispatcher service and wait until all BlackBerryAgent.exe and CalHelper.exe processes are gone from the taskbar.
- Uninstall previous versions of the Google Apps Connector for BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
- Uninstall the Exchange CDO package, as this is not used.
- Install the Google Apps Connector by launching the newest version of AppsConnector.msi.
- Open Google Apps Connector and enter your current OAuth consumer secret and consumer key.
- Open Outlook to confirm that the synchronization icon in the taskbar spins and successfully syncs with no errors.
- Install BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.2 or 5.0.3. Do not start BlackBerry services or reboot the server once the install has completed. During this step you may see a warning message about missing components. If this warning occurs, ignore it. You may also see a warning if the user account used to log into the server is a member of the Domain Administrators group. You can ignore this warning as well.
- Restart the server. When the server restarts, all the BlackBerry services should be on by default.
Does Google Apps Connector support multiple domains?
In Release 3.0.127 and later, yes, but this requires setting a special registry key. See the Google Apps Forum article for details.
Does the Google Apps Connector support multiple calendars?
We don't currently support multiple calendars, and do not have plans to support this feature.
What are the systems requirements and capacity limits for the connector?
See the system requirements in the Help Center for the latest information.
Troubleshooting System FailuresWhy does Google Apps Connector stop working after a system update?
Why does Google Apps Connector stop working after a system update?
A Windows, Office, or security update may override settings or files that Google Apps Connector requires. Uninstall and reinstall AppsConnector.msi, and run clean_cdo.bat from support_tools.zip should restore the proper configuration. See the main download page.
How do I repair corrupted cache data files (.PST)?
Following the steps to remove and reactivate a user is the most effective way to repair a cache data file. You can also use the tool scanpst.exe, available from Microsoft Office 2007, to repair a user's data cache. See the Forum article below for more information.
What causes email synchronization to stop working with 302 error messages?
If this problem lasts more than 15 minutes, this may be caused by a server bug. Contact support immediately to resolve this issue. With Build 2.2.307 or later, the transient error will be recovered automatically.
How can I troubleshoot General Authentication errors?
If you experience General Authentication errors, please review our Google Apps Connector installation and activation issues troubleshooting steps.
How do I resolve the error "MAPI 0x8004011d error"?
If you see this error code during installation and setup of Google Apps Connector, you may be using a Windows system image that conflicts with the Connector, or you may have installed other components or applications on the system that conflict with the Connector. Reinstall the system using clean Windows installation.
If you see this error after successfully running Connector for a while, this is likely caused by a bad state on the system. First try to reboot the system. If it does not solve the problem, check what components and applications were recently installed and consider reverting them.
Troubleshooting Other IssuesWhat can cause a large number of pending messages in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?
What can cause a large number of pending messages in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server?
Check your SRP Status with BlackBerry Administration Service. If the status is "disconnected", this means your SRP key is expired or suspended. Contact RIM customer support to resolve this issue.
Why are some of my domain user email addresses not showing up in the Global Address List (GAL)?
GBES requires both shared contacts to be enabled and a user's primary username to appear in the GAL for device activation and synchronization. If you select Hide the primary email address if the user has an alias in the control panel, users with aliases will not have their primary email address appear in the GAL. In this case, you won't be able to activate the user on GBES. To resolve this issue, be sure to select Show all email addresses in your domain's Contact settings.
When do I need to update OAuth info?
You will need to update your OAuth information under the following circumstances:
- If you re-generate OAuth info on Google Apps Control Panel.
- If you delete the BlackBerryManager or BlackBerryServer profile.
How do I resolve a GAL sync error with the message "XmlParser::ParseObjectFromXml()"?
This error message means the server is using a custom GAL, and one of the GAL XML files contains syntax or semantics error. You can use IE to open the XML file to check basic syntax. If it passes, you can split the GAL XML into many small files, and use brute force try-and-fail to see which piece causes the problem. We have seen all kinds of errors with custom GAL, so there is no simple rule to follow here.
How do I resolve repeated "0x80040109" errors with CalSyncTask?
If you are using Google Sync for BlackBerry on a device that is using Google Apps Connector, you will see a lot of 0x80040109 errors in Google Apps Connector logs and a lot of duplicated events on device. Remove Google Sync should solve the problem.
What should I do if BlackBerry Enterprise Server installer (5.0) reports an error with MAPI version 1.0.2536?
Windows ships with MAPI version 1.0.2536 by default. Click the Ignore button and continue installation. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server will not actually use this version, so this error won't actually affect your service.
What should I do if CalHelper fails to initialize due to timezone related errors?Try to install the latest Windows timezone update from Microsoft. If it does not fix the problem, change the BES server timezone to US Pacific Time. It should have no impact to end users.
Can not find staticgalgenerator.exe for Google Apps Connector 3.0?
Google Apps Connector 3.0 syncs to dynamic GAL API directly, so there is no staticgalgenerator or static GAL XML files.
How can I resolve a GAL sync 404 error?
If you disable contacts sharing in the Admin console, you will see this error. You can fix it by enable contacts sharing. If you recently upgraded your domain to Google Apps for Work, you need to wait 1 to 2 days for GAL to show up.
Activation and DevicesWhat do I do if Enterprise Activation fails?
What do I do if Enterprise Activation fails?
If you experience activation failures, please review our Google Apps Connector installation and activation issues troubleshooting steps. If the issue persists, review the steps below to resolve a failed Enterprise Activation for a user:
- Wait at least 10 minutes after adding a user on the server before activating on the device.
- Check the BlackBerry Administrator Service (BAS) to track the activation.
- Look for the user's email address in the Connector logs to make sure that the user account is syncing.
- Confirm that the cache file increases to at least 10MB in size.
- Always specify activation password when adding a user. Do NOT use auto generated password.
- Make sure the activation password is active, not expired.
- Make sure the device has good network coverage.
- Make sure the activation message is not blocked by Postini or another mail filtering service.
- Make sure activation email arrives at Gmail.
- Make sure Connector logs shows "Found activation message".
- Make sure the user is not on another BlackBerry Enterprise Server. If you see error message "Ignored - let other server/desktop do it" in the log files, it means the user is still on another BES server or in another BES configuration user database. Remove the user from that service
- Check with your carrier to be sure the device has the right level of service.
- Make sure that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server SRP status is Connected.
How do I deliver old messages on the device?
You can move old messages to a folder/label that is not redirected, and then move them back to a folder/label that is redirected. These old messages should show up on device as new message but with the same read/unread status as Gmail.
How long does it take for changes to the Global Address List to update?
This can take up to 24 hours.
Can I activate my server user account?
No. You can not activate the account that you used to setup BES server. If you need save an account to avoid extra charges, can create a nickname for a real working account and use the nickname to setup BES server, and activate the real account.
Alternately, you can create an alias to a user in Google Apps, and use that alias as your server user.
MaintenanceHow do I read the Google Apps Connector log files?
How do I read the Google Apps Connector log files?
How do I shut down Google Apps Connector properly?
Stop BlackBerry Dispatcher service, then wait until BlackBerryAgent and CalHelper processes disappear from Windows Task Manager. You don't need to worry about other processes.
How can I identify hardware capacity issues?
Check Task Manager and Performance Monitor. The server hardware should meet the following requirements at stable running state:
- In Task Manager, check that the average CPU load is no higher than 25%.
- In Task Manager, check that the memory load in Task Manager is no higher than 60%.
- In Performance Monitor, check that the current disk queue length is no more than 3.
- In Performance Monitor, check that % Committed bytes for the entire system is no higher than 30%.
- In Performance Monitor, check that Virtual Bytes for each BlackBerry Enterprise Server Agent is no more than 1GB.
- In Performance Monitor, check that the Current Disk Queue for each drive in the system does not remain higher than 5 for a prolonged period of time.
For full capacity requirements, see System Requirements.
How do I resync the Global Address List (GAL)?
For Google Apps Connector 3.0 and later, you can simply delete the GAB*.db files in the cache directory, while the BlackBerry Dispatcher service is stopped. The GAL will be resynced in about twenty minutes.
How do I upgrade the Google Apps Connector to a new version?
- Stop the BlackBerry Dispatcher service.
- Wait until BlackBerryAgent and CalHelper processes are gone.
- Uninstall Google Apps Connector using Control Panel.
- Install the latest version of Google Apps Connector from download site.
- Start BlackBerry Dispatcher service, and done.
Is it possible to limit the cache file size to some specified value?
No, this is not possible. However, you can limit how many days of emails to synchronize on per server basis.
How do I handle BlackBerry Enterprise Server account password changes?
Please see the instructions in the BlackBerry forums article Changing BES Service Account Password.
How do I verify GAL data with Google Apps Connector?
- Check the GAB*.db files in your cache directory. They should have a file size of at least about 100KB, and a recent timestamp.
- Download sqlite3.exe for Windows from http://www.sqlite.org/download.html.
- Run sqlite3.exe on GAL database file: sqlite3.exe GAB-xxx.db
- Run the following query: select * from users;
- Run the following query: select * from users where email like 'firstname.lastname@example.org';
How do I relocate existing cache files?
There are several options for it depending on your needs. Stop the BlackBerry Dispatcher service before you use any of these methods.
- Change the cache path using Connector Manager and delete/re-add all existing users, then reactivate all.
- Change the cache path using Connector Manager and add new users. The data files for new users will be in the new location. It will not affect existing data files.
- Move the entire cache directory from old location to new location, then use the "junction" tool to create a symbolic link at old location pointing to the new location. You can download the "junction" tool from Microsoft sysinternals website.