This page is for administrators. To limit sharing of your own files, go here instead.
Supported editions for this feature: Business Standard and Business Plus; Enterprise; Education Fundamentals, Education Standard, Teaching and Learning Upgrade, and Education Plus; Essentials, Enterprise Essentials, and Enterprise Essentials Plus; G Suite Business. Compare your edition
As an administrator, you can decide how much access users can give to files when they’re prompted to share a file. Users get prompted to share when they:
- Send Gmail or Google Chat messages with links to files that haven't been shared with recipients.
- +mention someone in a comment in a file who doesn't have access.
- Attach files to Google Calendar events where guests don't have access to the files.
If users share files they don't own, the sharing options come from the file owner's organizational unit. If users share multiple files and different organizational unit settings apply, the options come from the least permissive organizational unit.
Set how much access users can give
Sign in to your Google Admin console.
Sign in using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
In the Admin console, go to Menu AppsGoogle WorkspaceDrive and Docs.
Click Sharing settings > Sharing options.
To apply the setting to everyone, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit or a configuration group.
- For Access Checker, choose an option:
- (Least restrictive) To let users choose any sharing option, including giving access to anyone who has the link, choose Recipients only, your organization, or public. This option is available only if external sharing is turned on for your organization and you allow users to publish files on the web.
- (More restrictive) To let users give access only to required recipients or anyone in your organization who has the link, choose Recipients only or your organization.
- (Most restrictive) To let users give access only to required recipients, choose Recipients only. If the file has been shared with other people, those people still have access.
- Click Save. If you configured an organizational unit or group, you might be able to either Inherit or Override a parent organizational unit, or Unset a group.
Changes can take up to 24 hours but typically happen more quickly. Learn more