Add a backup credit card
To make sure your Google service runs continuously, we recommend adding a backup credit card to your Google billing account. If we try to charge your primary payment method and our charge is ever declined, we'll automatically try to charge your backup credit card. If the payment goes through, your service continues without interruption.
To add a credit card as a backup for automatic payments:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- From the dashboard, click Billing.
- Next to your subscription, click and choose Access billing account.
- At the top of your Billing page, click Billing settings.
- Scroll to Your selections and click Add a new payment method.
- Select Credit or debit card. Then enter your card number and other information.
- Check the box to make this your Backup payment method.
- Click Save.
After adding a backup credit card, you can use it to make other payments, too—for example, to cover an outstanding balance or make an advanced payment. For details, see Make a manual payment.
Questions?When do automatic payments occur?
- Google Apps: Once your free trial is over and your paid subscription begins, we begin charging your payment method at the beginning of the following month. If your paid service begins in May, for example, we charge you at the beginning of June. After that, automatic charges continue to occur at the beginning of each month.
- Domain Registration: We debit your account when you initially purchase your domain, then charge your payment method at the beginning of the following month. If your domain is set to auto-renew, we renew your domain 7 days prior to the annual renewal date and charge your payment method at the beginning of the following month.
In some countries, the billing address you specify for a payment method must be in the same country as the billing country you select when you set up your Google billing account. If that's true for your location, you can't enter any other country in a billing address. Nor can you change the billing country associated with your account.
If your billing address isn't in the country you selected for your billing account, you can:
- Add a new payment method with a billing address that is in your billing account's country.
- Transfer your account to one of our Google Apps partners who might be able to change your billing account's country for you.
When you add a credit card, we can typically authorize and begin charging it right away. In some cases, however, this might take a few hours.
When setting up a Google billing account
Your service will start running almost immediately after you enter valid credit card information in your new billing account. However, in some circumstances it can take a few hours.
When making a manual payment
When you make a manual payment, we check with your credit card provider right away to see if your card can accept the charge. If it can, we authorize your card almost immediately for the amount of your payment.
If your account was suspended because an automatic payment was declined and you're paying off your balance to lift the suspension, service will resume once your payment is complete.
It might take several hours for the payment to appear in your Transaction history.