Adding, assigning, editing, or removing forms of payment
The Billing settings page in your account allows you to add, edit or remove your forms of payment. To get to this page:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Click Billing > Access billing account. Where is it?
- Click the Billing settings link on the left.
You can change your payment selections at any time. However, the payment options available to you depend on the country of your business address, and you must have a primary form of payment on your account. If you have only one form of payment entered in your account, it will be assigned automatically as your primary form of payment.Add a form of payment
Once you're on the Billing settings page, click the Add new form of payment button. The forms of payment available to you will be shown. These are based on your business address, your account's currency, and how you pay.
You won't be able to assign the same form of payment as both your primary and backup. In addition, only credit or debit cards are accepted as backup forms of payment; you won't be able to assign a bank account as your backup.
You need to have one form of payment assigned as your primary form of payment at all times. You can also choose to designate an automatic backup form of payment. A backup form of payment is a credit card that you designate to be used if your primary form of payment fails. If your primary form of payment is ever declined when processing a payment, we'll automatically try to charge the payment to your backup credit card instead. This helps ensure that your service runs continuously.
After you add a new form of payment, it won't be automatically designated to be used as your primary or backup. If you'd like us to charge it automatically, you'll need to assign it yourself.
Here's how to change your automatic payment assignments:
- In the Your selections section of your Billing settings page, find your form of payment, and click the Select as drop-down menu to choose Primary or Backup. Keep in mind that you can only use credit or debit cards for a backup form of payment, not a bank account.
You can change your payment information at any time. To remove a form of payment from your account:
- Find the appropriate form of payment on your Billing settings page, and click Remove. Keep in mind that your account will always need at least one form of payment on file.
- You’ll always need to have a primary form of payment associated with your account. If you ever want to remove this, add a new form of payment and assign it as a primary, then you can remove your old primary.
- Your payment information is protected by strict security measures, and that neither Google nor our payment partners ever share or sell your personal information. Learn more about Google's security standards.
- You'll need to have at least one form of payment associated with your account at all times. If the form of payment you'd like to remove is assigned as your primary or backup form of payment, you'll need to first unassign it. For a primary form of payment, this means that you'll need to assign a different primary form of payment. Once your original form of payment is not assigned, you'll be able to remove it.
If you're changing from credit card to bank account
When a bank account is your primary form of payment, you'll need to verify your bank account in order for your service to run. If you'd like to start your service in the meantime, you can add a credit card to your account and use it until you've verified your bank account.
If you're changing from bank account to credit card
If we successfully authorize and charge your credit card, your service will continue to run during this form of payment switch. However, if your credit card is declined, your service will stop running. Learn what to do in case of a decline.
Any pending bank account payments, which appear as in progress on your billing summary page, will still be charged to your bank account.
If you're using a bank account, you won't be able to update its information. Instead, you'll need to add your bank account's correct information as a new form of payment.
To update your form of payment information:
- On your Billing settings page, find the appropriate form of payment, and click Edit.
- Enter your updated information.
- Click Save when you're done.
- You can edit all details for your form of payment except for the credit card or bank account number. If the number of your credit card or bank account has changed, we consider this to be a new credit card or bank account. You'll need to add it as a new form of payment.
- If you pay via direct debit and would like to change your bank account number, you'll need to verify a test deposit.
If your form of payment has been declined many times, it will be disabled in your Google Apps account. To allow it to be used to pay for your Google Apps costs again, re-enable it.
To re-enable your form of payment:
- On your Billing settings page, find the form of payment with the Re-enable form of payment link.
- Check to make sure that all the details are correct for this form of payment. Call your bank or credit institution to ensure that you can use the form of payment in your Google Apps account, if necessary.
- Once you've made sure that the form of payment will work, click the Re-enable form of payment link.
If you're on automatic payments and you've re-enabled your primary form of payment, your service will begin to run again. We recommend that you enter a backup credit card to help ensure that your service runs continuously, in the case of another payment decline by your primary form of payment.
If we weren't able to process an automatic payment from you, we'll put an alert in your account letting you know about the decline. The alert may include any information your bank provided about why the payment was declined, and it'll tell you to take one of the following actions in order to activate your service again. We'll send you an email with the same information.