Delegate calendar access
With Google Calendar, you can give another user access to your calendar, including the ability to schedule and edit events. For example, a manager might want to grant calendar access an administrative assistant.
The administrative assistant is a delegate. And a delegated Google Calendar is a shared calendar with certain edit rights for the delegate.
What a delegate can and can't do
|Your delegate can ...||Your delegate can't ...|
Delegate your calendar
- Sign in with your G Suite administrator account and open Google Calendar.
- In the left column under My calendars, point to the calendar that you want to create a delegate for and click More .
- Select Setting and sharing.
- In the Share with specific people box, click Add People.
- Enter the email address of the person that you want to delegate your calendar to.
- Next to the Permissions box, click the Down arrow select the privilege level.
If you want your delegate to get and respond to your email notification, select either Make changes to events or Make changes and manage sharing.
- Click Send.
Create an event in your calendar
After you delegate your calendar, your delegate can sign in to their calendar and manage it. For example, your delegate can follow these steps to create an event on your calendar:
- Using their G Suite account, sign in to Calendar.
- On the left under My Calendars, verify that the delegated calendar is there.
- By the delegated calendar, click the Down arrow .
- Select Create a new event on this calendar.
How events and notifications work
Suppose a user named Carol delegates her calendar to her administrative assistant named Jim and Jim creates an event on Carol's calendar.
The event shows up on Carol's calendar as Created by: Jim. Invitations to the event come from Carol. On the invitation, Carol is listed as the organizer and Jim the creator.
In Gmail, when Jim is added to Carol's calendar with sharing permissions set to Make changes and manage sharing or Make changes to events, notifications appear in the delegate's sent items and in their inbox.