About Google Cloud Directory Sync
With Google Cloud Directory Sync (GCDS), you can synchronize the data in your Google domain with your Microsoft® Active Directory® or LDAP server. Your Google users, groups, and shared contacts are synchronized to match the information in your LDAP server.
The data in your LDAP directory server is never modified or compromised. GCDS is a secure tool that helps you easily keep track of users and groups.
GCDS used to be known as Google Apps Directory Sync (GADS).
How GCDS works
- Data is exported in a list from your LDAP server or Active Directory. You set up rules to specify how this list is generated.
- GCDS connects to the Google domain and generates a list of Google users, groups, and shared contacts that you specify.
- GCDS compares these lists and updates your Google domain to match the data.
- When the synchronization is complete, a report is emailed to any addresses that you specify.
Key benefits of GCDS
- Ensures your Google domain data matches that of your Active Directory or LDAP server.
- Allows you to configure rules for custom mapping of users, groups, nonemployee contacts, user profiles, aliases, calendar resources, and exceptions.
- Performs a one-way synchronization. Data on your LDAP server is never updated or altered.
- Runs as a utility in your server environment. There is no access to your LDAP directory server data outside your perimeter.
- Includes extensive tests and simulations to ensure correct synchronization.
- Includes all necessary components in the installation package.
- Includes a number of features to keep your data secure.
Ready to begin?
See more about how to Install and prepare for GCDS.