This article will help you target Optimize experiments at AdWords accounts, campaigns, ad groups, and keywords.In this article:
The Optimize integration with Google AdWords enables you to easily target experiments and personalized experiences at AdWords accounts, campaigns, ad groups, and keywords. This allows you to personalize your existing web pages based on specific ads that users click.
Supported campaign types
The Optimize-AdWords integration supports search and shopping campaigns. It supports Search Network with Display select, but only the search traffic from those campaigns (display traffic is excluded). Support for additional campaign types will be added in the future.
Before you can use the AdWords integration with Optimize, you need the following:
- An AdWords account linked to Analytics. Learn more.
- An AdWords account linked to Optimize. Learn more
- An Optimize container linked to Analytics. Learn more.
If you haven’t configured the AdWords, Analytics, and Optimize steps above, read Link Optimize to AdWords before proceeding.
When the above steps are complete, it’s time to experiment!
When to use AdWords targeting
AdWords targeting is useful for leveraging the campaigns, ad groups, and keywords you’ve already created. With this integration you can use Optimize to target users in discrete groups with signals that you’ve already created in AdWords. For example, an antiques dealer with AdWords campaigns for both high-end and low-end customers can run experiments on each landing page tailored to that specific audience.
Example: Target high-end customers
An antiques dealer with AdWords campaigns targeting high-end customers can leverage those signals and run experiments on their premium landing page. For example, based on a hypothesis that high-end customers are more focused on authenticity and historical value than price, an antiques dealer could create an experiment on the landing page that prominently displays proof of authenticity and excludes prices.
Create an Optimize experiment targeting AdWords
Target AdWords in Optimize
To configure AdWords targeting in Optimize:
- Select which level in the AdWords tree you wish to target. You can target at the account, campaign, ad group, and keyword level.
- Based on your choice above, select the accounts, campaigns, ad groups, and keywords you wish to target.
- Click ADD.
- Click SAVE.
- Start your experiment.
Experiments targeting AdWords must comply with all AdWords policies, including its prohibited content, prohibited practices, restricted content, editorial, and technical policies. Learn more in the AdWords help center.
- Redirect tests should not take users to a separate domain if the initial page is used as an AdWords landing page.
- All URLs used in redirect tests must be added to AdWords list of Final URLs for all ad groups that take users to the landing page that initiates the redirect test.
- Tests must not change the essential intent of your page.
Don't see an AdWords account?
- AdWords is linked to the same Analytics property (Linking Step 1) that's linked to Optimize (Linking Step 3).
- You have Read-only access (or higher) to AdWords.
- AdWords is linked to Analytics (Linking Step 1).
- AdWords is linked to Optimize (Linking Step 3).
Don't see an AdWords campaign?
- Optimize currently supports search and shopping campaigns. This includes Search Network with Display select, but only the search traffic from those campaigns is supported. Display traffic is excluded.
Don't see traffic to your experiments?
- Auto-tagging is enabled in AdWords.
- Your Optimize targeting rules are configured correctly.
- Your Optimize experiment is getting active users.